Confused about mybooklive being on network AND backup

Currently I am using a 2TB mybooklive stricly as a means to backup files.

As I am better understanding the cloud capability of this drive, I am planning to use it as a “mainframe” to centralize our common files.  It is my understanding that this will centralize our files and it will become a “working drive”.  Files stored on mybooklive can be opened from multiple devices - viewed, edited, etc. anywhere around the world.

My confusion is that the drive can also be used as a backup. 

It is possible that I am old school - it was my undertanding that a working drive and a backup drive should be physically separate units so that if one should crash, a second copy of the same information exists.

If all the files are stored on the same drive as the backup drive, am I not risking losing both should mybooklive malfunction?

It’s not backing up itself…  It’s for backing up a PC, which is a separate disk.

So, if I place our working files on MBL, how do I back up the MBL?

Check the documentation on Safepoints.  That’s what the MBL calls a backup.

milfred34 wrote:

So, if I place our working files on MBL, how do I back up the MBL?

Just back it up to any separate hard drive. You don’t have to only use WD software to back up.  I also put my live files on the MBL so I can access and edit them from several computers on my home network. I use Acronis True Image (other software would probably work as well) to run a daily backup from the MBL to my desktop hard drive. I’ll also manually back up to an external USB HD once or twice a week.