Cannot install setup program on Mac

I have successfully installed the setup program for my new MyBookLive on my two Win 7 PCs, but when I try to install it on my Mac OS 10.5.8, even though the WD TV Live screen has Mac OS 10 in the upper right, it says ‘Windows’ at the ‘download’ button on the lower left. And when you download it, what gets downloaded is mbl_windows_setup - not likely to be the name for the Mac install program. Or is it? I didn’t dare try it for fear of messing something up.

What should I do?

Thanks for your help.

PeytonTodd wrote:

I have successfully installed the setup program for my new MyBookLive on my two Win 7 PCs, but when I try to install it on my Mac OS 10.5.8, even though the Please select the product for setup instructions | WD Support screen has Mac OS 10 in the upper right, it says ‘Windows’ at the ‘download’ button on the lower left. And when you download it, what gets downloaded is mbl_windows_setup - not likely to be the name for the Mac install program. Or is it? I didn’t dare try it for fear of messing something up.

What should I do?

Thanks for your help.

Just forget about it. You don’t need any program or software to use the NAS.

You’ll find it on finder under shared, you can open the dashboard from the bookmarks on Safari, you can map it via smb:// or afp:// 

At worst you’ll need to quickview for access, and you get it from here.

1 Like

There is no option on my Finder called ‘shared’, and no ‘dashboard’ in my bookmarks in Safari. I’m not familiar with smb://, but when I google it, I’m told to choose Go in the Finder and enter the DNSname and sharename, which I have no idea how to obtain…

However, when I went the Go route, and it asked for the Server Name. Fortunately, there was a Browse button that included MyBookLive as one of its choices (in fact the only choisce apart from MyBookLive backup). The only drawback is that I was asked for my password, and my MyBookLive is not password-protected.The little login window did not accept just leaving the password blank. Luckily I was able to get there as a guest, but it would be still be nice if MyBookLive could simply appear among the disks I can choose, as happens on my PCs.

It’s impossible your Mac doesn’t show Shared on the left side of a Finder window. If that’s the case then your computer is messed up.