Cannot access files on 1TB MBL

I have been searching, but have not found this same problem I have been having, or any help, so I’ll try to explain here.

I have been using the MBL for a few years with no problems, setup a new Win 8.1 Laptop last month, all has been working fine, until this past Thursday.

This is what I am facing now:

• MBL is recognized on the network, Static IP (confirmed no conflict)

• The MBL dashboard functions no problem, indicates 137gb of 992 used

• When click on the Public Folder (where all my files are), in either Win Explorer or when trying to Map A Drive, it gives the “Windows cannot access \MYBOOKLIVE\Public” network error, with the error code of 0x80070043 “The network name cannot be found”

I have tried:

• Updating MBL firmware, which was up to date already

• resetting the MBL

• adding a password to the MBL through the dashboard

• Netbios over TCP/IP  is enabled

• MBL has static IP, tried dynamic as well

• removed the LAN in Device Manager and then reinstalled it.

• tried it with all Anti-Viruses off totally (Trend Micro)

• router firmware upgraded (E1200)

There have been no new programs installed recently and everything is up to date.

I am at a total loss right now and need help bad. I have already sent a log to WD help, hope to hear back soon.

Any ideas/suggestions in the mean time?

mtbvert wrote:

… it gives the “Windows cannot access \MYBOOKLIVE\Public” network error, with the error code of 0x80070043 “The network name cannot be found”

Unless that’s a typo, then that’s the problem.   You have two backslashes ( ‘\’ ) between the host name and share name.  Should just be one.

TonyPh12345, I’m pretty sure that is a typo on my part, but I will confirm when I get home.

TonyPh12345, i confirmed it was a typo, i will edit the OP.

On a side note, how long does it really take to hear back from WD after a ticket is submitted?

What happens if you try by IP address instead?

\ip.of.your.mbl\Public

Tried that as well with the same error message, tonyph12345.

Can you post a screenshot of your whole desktop when that error message appears?   It will help provide some context.

Here is the error message when i try to access from Win Explorer:

I also found this intersting, while in the Dashboard, you’ll see at the bottom the overall drive shows 137gb of 992gb used, but the Public Share where all my files are says 0mb / 992gb:

Do you get that same error for ALL shares, or ONLY the “Public” share?

It is the same for ALL the shares.  I even created a new share last night, it showed up in WIn Explorer, but gave the same error when trying to connect.

I see in your earlier screenshot you also have a device called “Laptop” on the network.   Can your 8.1 box connect to those shares?

I’m pretty certain that is the laptop I am using. There are no other machines connected to the network.

I’d like to know how long it takes as well.  I submitted two support requests first thing Monday morning.  They say they try to get back to you within 24 hours; it’s been over 72.  After some period of time can I call them without being charged?  They really shouldn’t set an expectation if they can’t come close to meeting it.  Overpromising and Underdelivering is a terrible way to conduct customer relationship management. 

• The Laptop shown is in fact the one i am using.

• drrhythm2, i submitted my ticket Sunday evening, no response yet.  After submission it said their GOAL is to contact me within one business day.  It’s now Thursday morning…

I am still scouring the net, I have found people with similar problems, but no solution that has worked for me. 

Still seems like it’s something on your PC that’s blocking the access.

It can SEE the server, but will not connect to it.

Try TELNET’ing to the service ports on the My Book Live to see if you can connect.

The ports in question are ports 137-139

So, download PUTTY if you don’t already have a telnet client on your PC.

Then try to connect to the three ports on the MBL.

If ANY of them are blocked, the connection will fail.

If they are working, they’ll connect; you just won’t see anything.

TonyPH12345, I will try that once I get home tonight.

Did it seem odd to you that the dashboard shows the data, but the Public share doesn’t indicate there is anything in it? i.e. 0mb/992gb.  It used to show the 127gb/992gb.

Yeah, that’s odd, but I don’t know if it’s related or not.

I suppose I could just try to RMA it, but for some reason on my RMA page the option to have them send me a new one first isn’t there, and the last thing I want to do is send my drive away into the ether and wait two months for it to hopefully be fixed and sent back to me. 

Advance RMA availability depends on your physical location. It is not a world-wide option.

Regards,

TonyPH12345, when I TelNet into 137 or 138 I get: “Network Error: Connection Refused”

When i try 139, it connects.