Can't reset Owner's password

Hi,

Just bought a new 2TB MBL.

All good until I started messing with security. I specified an owner’s password, which I subsequently forgot. So I have tried several times to reset the password to default (either blank or admin depending on what you read) by resetting the device by holding the in the small button on the back of the decive for a few seconds as per the manual, but whenever I access the GUI, it’s looking for a password. Agghhhh. Driving me crazy at this point.

Thanks

Hold the button in for a good 6-8 seconds. If the drive does not reboot then the reset script has not run and will not blank out the password. You will see the LED go through several color changes if the script runs and resets the password and reboots the drive.

Thanks for the reply.

The device goes from green to blue to yellow and back to green. After several minutes I try to access again but still get redirected to the login page where no default password will work (‘admin’ and no password)

**bumping**

I have this same issue on my 1TB MBL. I have reset it many, many times. The webUI still asks for a password.

I started having this issue when I set the password for the drive. I never forgot the password, yet it would not accept it.

I’m litterally pulling my hair out trying to fix this.

Same here…

Dont know what to do…

I logged a call with the vendor and was told to return the unit. To be honest I couldn’t be bothered as I suspect all the data will be wiped which I can’t be arsed to copy over to prevnet data loss/

**bleep** device.

MarkRob wrote:

The device goes from green to blue to yellow and back to green. After several minutes I try to access again but still get redirected to the login page where no default password will work (_ ‘admin’ and no password _)

Sorry, I’m confused.   The MBL doesn’t ask for a username when logging in.  Are you sure you’re in the right place?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sorry, I’m confused.   The MBL doesn’t ask for a username when logging in.  Are you sure you’re in the right place?

Concur that the MBL doesn’t ask for a username. However it can be set-up to ask for an Owners Password  which is what I think the posters are talking about. Below is a screen shot from my MBL asking for an Owners Password.

>  

yes this is exactly my problem. I configured the device to use an owners p/w. I set the password and now when I try and access it it’s looking for a password. I state the password I chose but it wont accept it. I have not made a mistake with the password. 

Tried resetting it but wont work

This is exactly the same problem I am experiencing with my WD My Book Life 4TB.

The typed password is correct. I’ve reset the NAS several times and was super careful that the password is entered correctly.

As suggested elsewhere, I updated to the latest version of Java (SE 7.51), and still no luck.

What is the solution? I’m tempted to return it to the shop. I’ve already wasted a lot of time just trying to set this drive up. It shouldn’t be that hard!

1 Like