Can't connect to MyBook directly

I have connected MyBook directly to my Win7 tablet computer by ethernet cable (not a crossover). It is visible as “storage” under Network in the Windows Explorer, but access is denied and it will not open by clicking on it.

MyBook is set to a static IP (192.168.0.77), the Ethernet also (192.168.0.2). I can access MyBook through a browser and do admin stuff, but I can’t reach the shares.

Any ideas or suggestions for places to look for clues?

Edit:

When trying to access the shares through a browser, MyBook asks for credentials for a “DeviceUser”. My username and password fail and I get the following error:

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Try connecting typing: //192.168.0.77 see what you get.

Typing it in a browser doesn’t work. I tried and then MyBook asks for credentials for a “DeviceUser”. My username and password fail and I get the following error:

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn’t understand how to supply the credentials required.

I also tried to create network share in Winows Explorer, but typing the ip address brings up a login prompt. Similar to the browser, no username or password I use gives access.

Typing it in a browser doesn’t work. I tried and then MyBook asks for credentials for a “DeviceUser”. My username and password fail and I get the following error:

Authorization Required

I also tried to create network share in Windows Explorer, but typing the ip address brings up a login prompt. Similar to the browser, no username or password I use gives access.

Sorry, sanverm is an old account my phone remembered. :slight_smile:

Out of ideas. Wonder if you have run into the Win login issues some report. Such as login as guest first then attempting a different user.

See if this helps, if not, hopefully someone else will have an idea.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Opening-Private-share-on-My-Book-Live-in-Windows-7/m-p/579678/highlight/true#M23896

1 Like

Thanks, I will try tomorrow! 

I have tried the solution in the other thread and it works for my Public share. Thanks for the tip!

However, for my private share (different user + password protected) it doesn’t. When I try to connect I get Error 1219:

“Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.  Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.”

So, I tried the following from cmd:

net use Z: \server\protecteddirectory * /USER:username /PERSISTENT:YES

then entered my password

the second (public) directory I want to map can be accessed under the same username I use for the protected directory so I just used this:

net use X: \server\directory2 /PERSISTENT:YES

This seemed to work, however, when trying to access the private share, I get an “access denied” error, without the possibillity to type my password. Any ideas on this?

Ok, I got fed up with this, so I removed all protection from the private share. It is not connected to the internet anymore, only to my computer and I am the only one using it, so it seemed unnecessary to use a password.

However, I can’t seem to be able to remove the password from the share. On MyBook, everything looks ok, I should have full access to the Private share, just like the Public share. However, when connecting the share in Windows Explorer, I stil get an access denied error. Also, when starting my computer I have to give in a password to connect the share. I leave this emtpy (as there is no password) and it connects. Then, when I try to open the share, I get the access denied error. (You do not have permission to access this network location).

The Public share works perfectly, it is the same as when I used a password to connect in my previous post.

Any help would be really appreciated!

My question is now limited to this: how can I get to my stuff on the formerly Private share without having to connect it again to my router at home?!!