Can't Access Dashboard

I am trying to update the firmware for a 3T My Book Live drive and cannot seem to access the dashboard for upgrading the firmware.  I am running Windows 7 (64 bit obviously) and on an HP desktop.  I can see the drive in Windows Explorer, and transfer/copy files by drag and drop, or saving directly from an office application.  I can also see the drive on the Control Panel and view its properties, and can see it through the WD Quick View icon on the task bar.

What I can’t do is access the dashboard through a browser.  I have tried MS Explorer, Chrome and Firefox, using the IP address, the drive name, as well as the link on the WD Quick View icon.  Nothing works, I just get errors that one gets when the browser can’t connect.  I keep getting emails from WD telling me to update my firmware to the latest version, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do this without accessing the dashboard.  Anyone have any ideas or am I doing just missing something.  Pilot error is always an option…

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Please make sure you have the latest Java update installed on your computer.

You may also check the link below to verify if this will help.

Using WD Link to access the Dashboard or Network Storage Manager of a WD network hard drive 

Apologies for the thread-jack, I have been having the exact same problem as the OP for the last couple of days and was getting ready to post when I saw this post.

My 2TB MBL has been working fine for the last 2yrs, but recently started to act up.  It’s now at the point where I can see the shared drives and read/write to it fine, but I have no dashboard access at all.  It’s suddenly throwing HTTP 500 errors when trying to access “mybooklive” or it’s IP address.  I’ve installed WD Link and after finding the drive, that gives the same error (well it’s only shortcutting to the IP in a browser, so I’m not surprised).  As per the above post, I’ve got the latest Java installed too.  Anything that needs the web interface is non-responsive (direct UI dash access or WD2GO).

I don’t have SSH open and I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve reset or unplugged it now… each time I do, the shares always come back OK, but there’s never any web / UI access.  The light on the front died after about 6mths use, so no idea what that might have shown if it was working!

Is there any other utility out there that can access the drive and force a complete factory reset back to std?  Data is now removed, so I just need it reloaded back to std, in the hope it’ll bring the UI back… Any ideas at all from anyone???

I’m now worried the only option is the “Unbrick” tutorial, which will be an epic nigtmare as I only have a laptop and removing the drive from it as the tutorial describes would kill my warranty :(  There’s got to be another way to perform a complete reset on these things?!?!

OP - Apologies for the thread-jack, I hope the above will help / back up your issues and we can both benefit.

I hope no one minds me bumping this back up… I’ve continued reading the forum and it looks like the OP & I are into strip-down and & follow the debrick guide… unless anyone else has any further thoughts / pearls of wisdom that are worth trying?

356Speedster wrote:

I hope no one minds me bumping this back up… I’ve continued reading the forum and it looks like the OP & I are into strip-down and & follow the debrick guide… unless anyone else has any further thoughts / pearls of wisdom that are worth trying?

In lieu of any better feedback, I decided to strip my NAS down and follow the debrick guide… well, it was a bit of a pain of a job (which included rescuing an old desktop PC out of the loft!!), but it’s all worked out in the end :slight_smile:

To OP… if you decide to go for the debrick, I did have a few niggles along the way, you can see my comments at the end of the debrick thread.  Good luck sorting your MBL!