Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

Hi

After I upgraded the firmware, whenever I type http://mybooklive/UI/#, it displays a blank page (in firefox and chrome).  And when I try to use the WDSmartware that come with the drive, it come up with a windows 7 message that says “the connection with the server was reset”.

I even used the ip address instead of “mybooklive” and it also displays the blank page or the sever was reset error message.

But even though I can’t access the UI, the windows explorer can still access the public folder in the drive.

Any ideas as how to get the UI back? or even do a factory reset without going into the UI?

Any help is very much appreciated.  Thanks!

did your MBL actually reboot after the FW update?  One loophole I’m seeing here is that the “shutdown” function is within the dashboard, but if you can’t get the dashboard working you can’t shutdown properly. 

Does your drive sleep?  i’ve pulled the power cord while the unit is sleeping without any effect, though this is probably generally a bad idea. 

There is a lot of this Web UI has gone missing.  Question. Did you enable SSH?

Hi,

First, thanks for replying.

Yes my MBL did reboot but it took almost 10 hr before it comes back online, and, after reboot, the drive no longer sleeps.  I did use the UI before the firmware update to turn functions like remote access, ftp and twonky off.  So after the update I try to go back to the UI to turn the ftp function on and that is when I discover I no longer able to access the UI.

As for whether the SSH was enabled, unfortunately I was not able to download/upload the configuration file to witch on the SSH because the UI is not accessible.  Therefore the SSH is not enabled.

Since this is a brand new drive with no data on it, I am wonderting if there is a way to re-format the MBL (without using the UI) and make it go back to factory default.  Or am I doomed?

Thanks again.

Exactly the same situation here.
No UI after firmware update.
New drive.
It is actually showing on the network. Public folder there. Shares I’ve created before the upgrade also there.
Wondering how to format this to factory settigs without Using UI?
Thanks!

Is any of this any help http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-307650#post-1003066

WD obviously changed how the drive is found, by IP instead of name I think, i keep recommending that people migrate to a new DNS server address, even temporarily, to see if that helps.  It takes about 30 seconds to put 8.8.8.8 into that field and see if it works.

Hi,

Have the same issue. I tried with the DNS changed, the IP adress of the MBL, and I still have the blank page :angry:

What could we do ?

Hi, long time ago I tried Philgo recommendation and it did work.

Fortunately I had enable SSH before so, I just log in (ssh  root@mybooklive) and type “updateFirmwareToLatest.sh reboot”, took a while, and after the rebbot I had again the web gui.

I did that’s using older firmware, but it may work using the current.

Good luck!

Having the same issue…

I just got my My Book Live 3TB today…  Everything configured and was working until I upgraded the firmware.  Now I have the same issue, I can’t get to the UI.   The public folders are there and accessible but no way to configure the unit.

FYI…

I called WD Support and the tech support guy [Deleted] tells me that the upgrade of firmware is broken and that the only fix is to send the unit back and get a replacement.   The Unit cannot be fixed because the upgrade didn’t contain some of the UI files.

He then says,  “We can send you a refurbished one, but we don’t replace with new ones.” 

My response is, “but the unit is new (less than 2 hours old), why would you send me a refurbished one as a replacement”  His reply,  “We don’t send out new units as replacements, a refurbished one is your only option”.  

I told him NO THANK YOU.   I bought via Office Max so after a call to them, they offered to send a person to me with a NEW replacement unit.

Debating on whether to actually get a new one or just get a refund??   Only reason I bought this one was the Mobile App Access which is unique…  VERY FRUSTRATING.

Just so I understand. Did the tech support geezer actually state that the CURRENT firmware update that has been released (02.10.09-124) has files missing from the Dashboard UI ti make the Dashboard UI malfunction?

Thing is, for me, the Dashboard UI is worjing fine.  What’s missing?

The tech support guy said the “firmware upgrade didn’t install all the files for the UI”.  I assume the way he immediately understand the issue that it is a known issue… What I don’t understand is if it is a know issue and numberous people are having the issue… WHY IS THE UPGRADE STILL OUT THERE?  

i can no longer access mybooklive/UI as well. any solution out there? this is my 2nd unit from WD. The first one quit accessing UI after 2 days and WD replaced me with this one. it took me 4 hours with tech support to get this one working. But after 2 weeks, UI disappear again. I don’t know what to do.

This issue has not been replicated yet internally. We have talked to several users to try to get units in to look at, but as far as being widespread, that is far from true. Thousands and thousands of people have upgraded to this version. Our support teams will usually alert us if a firmware upgrade is causing major issues, and that is not the case here. I know this doesn’t help those of you with the issue, but I wanted to let you know that we are trying to ascertain what the exact root cause is. None of our testing over the last two plus months saw any issue like this.

As a quick test, have you done the following.

1. Rebooted your My Book Live

2.Try to access it with a .local extention. For example:

On a PC:

http://mybooklive.local

On a Mac:

mybooklive.local.  (use a period at the end of the local)

Hi Tony,

I’ve try your option, but still no access.

Both Chrome and IE are telling me to check my DNS settings.

Does that means that I should go and tweek my O2 super router options?

If that’s so, what would you recomend me to change? I’m not very good with these things.

Thanks for your time,

Myron

Tony, I think the firmware maintenance team need to make a radical change to the MBL in the way it the firmware can be restored.  Could it be possible, for example, SSH to be enabled by default but instead of a default pasword of “welc0me”, the default password would be derived from the hard drive’s serial number and also something else that would be unique to the MBL, like the NIC’s MAC address?  Obviously if the password has been set to something else then that remains as is. It would only be reset to the calculated default password on a factory reset or pressing the button on the back of the MBL.  It addresses . . . .

1. SSL is always available to perform diagnostics and recovery.
  2. If port 22 is accidentally left open to the Internet then it would be close to impossible to a hacker to guess the password.

Another idea is to have a TFTP client operational on the MBL so if the firmware screws up then one could set-up a TFTP service on a computer and the MBL could download the firmware file into itself and put things back?  As to what IP address to use?  To do this one would have to connect the MBL directly to a computer with the TFTP server running and for the duration of the recovery the computer’s NIC would have to be statically set to 192…168.0.1?

I have a LinkSys router that was destined for the bin, but then discovered the undocumented debricking procedure. Brought the router back to life after a failed firmware update.

Something needs to be done so there remains a route in to recover a poorly MBL should SSH be disabled and the Dashboard UI become dead.  Would be a whole heap better than being faced with the one option of sending the MBL back and losing one’s data on it.

On the recovery side of it, whoever designed the MBL needs to to have their head examined.

An honest opinion.  Now there is the case of trying to go the best with what one’s got.

WDTony wrote:

This issue has not been replicated yet internally. We have talked to several users to try to get units in to look at, but as far as being widespread, that is far from true. Thousands and thousands of people have upgraded to this version. Our support teams will usually alert us if a firmware upgrade is causing major issues, and that is not the case here. I know this doesn’t help those of you with the issue, but I wanted to let you know that we are trying to ascertain what the exact root cause is. None of our testing over the last two plus months saw any issue like this.

As a quick test, have you done the following.

1. Rebooted your My Book Live

2.Try to access it with a .local extention. For example:

On a PC:

http://mybooklive.local

On a Mac:

mybooklive.local.  (use a period at the end of the local)

Something to try.

Go to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999. Download the apple Bonjour Print Services for Windows, reboot and try WDTony’s instructions again.

Myron,

We shouldn’t have to resort to the options you give. it should work all the time.

I got to stand shoulder to shoulder with WDTony here.  A firmware upgrade is actually more of a firmware replacement. The firmware on the MBL is not exacy upgraded. Just seems like some house keeping is done during the firmware update and various configuration files are preserved.

I’ve had a look through the directory structure under /var/www and from what I can see, everything that needs to be there seems to be there.  Actually, for me, the Dashboard UI seems to be a lot more responsive.

Got to admit that after two failed attempts to update the firmware from a file via. the Dashboard UI resorted to copying the file to the MBL manually an invoking the script that the Dashboard UI should have invoked to perform the update. That’s how I’ll be performing the firmware update from now on.

As in make sure the firmware file is already copied across via the Samba service of the FTP service and then invokling the upgrade script reom the Linux command prompt.

roofdog wrote:

The tech support guy said the “firmware upgrade didn’t install all the files for the UI”.  I assume the way he immediately understand the issue that it is a known issue… What I don’t understand is if it is a know issue and numberous people are having the issue… WHY IS THE UPGRADE STILL OUT THERE?  

An update from my situation.   I got a voicemail from a WD Tech Support Supervisor regarding my open ticket but we have been playing phone tag.  Not sure iif it is a standard escallation type call or if they have something new to say.

Unfortunately I did get another call from Office Max.  They have decided to no longer sell MBL devices so they are going to come and pick it up at my house (never had that before) and then issue me a refund.  :cry:  This is unfortunate because I got a REALLY GOOD deal on the MBL which I haven’t found from any other retailer.