Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum also to this Network Drive. I got it few weeks back and didnt uset it at all. Just took it out of the box not and connected. First time I saw that UI and then I see the notice to udpate the firmware " Unfortunately" I have accepted to udpated it.

Since then, I lost my access to that UI and no way, no clue how to set it up.

Can someone in the forum or from WD help me please ?

Is that issue fixed at all? Any new firmware released after that ? Its been long time since this message someone posted in the forum ? PLEASE help !!!

Thanks
Raj 

Rej, very simple. If you can take it back to the shop for an exchange or refund then do so otherwise arrange an RMA with Western Digital.

Raj, your only solution is to contact WD support by phone and exchange the drive for a re-certified drive. Unless you enabled SSH before you installed the firmware upgrade, this is the only solution because the UI files were not copied / made available on your drive after the firmware was installed.

Same issue here…  Did the update provided by WD and bricked my MBL…  I can still access the files, and can actually shut it down using WD smartware, but in no way can I get to the dashboard…  only a white blank screen in firefox…

Hopefully WD is working on a way to fix this without having to send my drive in for a refurbished replacement…  I bought new and only a new one is acceptable, as that’s what I paid for…

Norm…

oooopss…I am also in this trap now…C’mon WD…do something. 

But exchange for a re-certified unit is not acceptable at all…NO WAY…

Why cant they fix it then ? I mean atleast is that possible to rollback to the previous version of the firmware ? Such a big company released the firmware without testing ? And no one had sued them yet ? Atleast no one bother to fix this issue from WD so far ? Shame on them …

Guys, anyoen from WD , can you speak up please ???

Atleast help us to roll back to the previous firmware until you fix this issue . What say ?

Thanks
Raj 

With the UI gone, there’s no way to roll back the firmware since the UI is what handles firmware installations. Also, it appears there is no hard reset (ie. a mechanism to push the reset button for X number if seconds to force a hard or factory reset). Thus, your options are to return it to the store if it’s new enough or exchange it for a re-certified unit. I received my decertified unit and it works fine - just like new - but will never perform another firmware update.

OK, well i’m not sending my drive with all my personal data to WD, so if I crack open the case and take the drive out how do I fix the OS??  Does someone know of a step by step guide I can use with a windows machine to get this done??

Thanks!

WD, I’m not impressed…

I had WD send me the replacement drive before I sent them my original one back. That way I could copy my data over and clean out the bricked drive before sending it back.

norm43 wrote:

OK, well i’m not sending my drive with all my personal data to WD, so if I crack open the case and take the drive out how do I fix the OS??  Does someone know of a step by step guide I can use with a windows machine to get this done??

Thanks!

WD, I’m not impressed…

Maybe you should contact WD first, before ruining your warranty, and see if they can help you. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Well, after speaking with WD tech support, my case has been escalated…    And I am supposed to hear back from them before the end of the week…

I’m not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this…

Please do tell how you get on. The whole WD community will be interested how to get at their files on a bricked W.D. MyBook Live without cracking open the case.

Norm43- how did you get your case escalated in WD without their simple response of send it in and we’ll replace it with a re-certified unit?

jstrathman,

I never got their standard offer of “send it in for a refurb unit”…

I just gave their 1-800 number a call, and went throught the usual “try this, and reboot and try that and reboot” with the WD tech on the phone, and he gave me a case number and said that he had to escalate…(possibly beyond his knowledge?).   In all honesty, everything he asked me to try, I had already tried thanks to all the post i’ve found here…  I’m not holding my breath…

Just read your mail, and wondered if you have eventulay got a Fix for the Non UI access problem.

I have two x 1TB MybookLive drives since November 2011.

The first one failed after upgrad to latest f/w ( purchased new 16th Nov 2011 replaced with new drive on 30th Nov 2011.

The second NAS is now not allowing me to login to Dashboard via Firefox http://IPaddress/UI etc Just times out

Tried SSH access to root and got further but still no Dashboard access.

At one stage could login using WD 2 GO and got error with DYNAMICCONFIG file is truncated.

Still waiting for WD support top reply to my Support case.

Very frustrating I Like the WD NAS but need to find a Key for the Front Door?? to edit the Dashboard Options !!

Come on WD Get your finger out!

Voyager9:

Check the follwoing topic for a possible fix:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/About-MBL-not-going-to-sleep-log-files-filling-system-partition/td-p/322457

Myron tracked the bricked Dashboard UI in my case to a couple of thing which once fixed got me back up and running (sort of).  After that I carried out a “Quick factory Restore” and have been running at 100% (i.e. accessing the DB UI, ssh & all WD 2go services) for the last 3 days now.  There is a way using a sh command to restore without losing all your share data which is outlined in the following topic:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/new-My-Book-LIve/m-p/299058/highlight/true#M6332

check the 9th post by BBBBBrandon (a WD Staff).

Hope this helps get you back up and running…

Jamie

I still haven’t heard back from WD yet…   I’m calling them tonight…  This needs to be resolved soon…

OK, well i’m a little late with this but here it is,

Last friday I called WD tech support, and gave them my case number.  Went through the usuall rigamaroll, (which this guy was much better than the first guy I talked to a few days before), and was then escalated to 2nd level support.  2nd level support basically said “we know of this issue and we’re looking for some of these bricked drives so we can determine what is wrong with them” and that WD was willing to replace my bricked drive with a refurbished one, to which I said, that I had bought and paid for a new MBL, and that refurbished wasn’t acceptable…  This banter went on for a few minutes, and after he checked with his manager, he came back with, since your dirve isn’t that old (bought in Sept or Oct 2011), that they would refund my money for the drive, after I sent the drive in with a copy of a sales recipt.   After reading the email with the details of the refund I decided to keep the drive, as it would take up to 3 weeks for a refund after WD received the drive, plus it had all my personal data on it anyways…

Long story short, I openned it up and dericked it myself, thanks to ubuntu (which I never previously used) and http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-368098/debricking-script-that-can-keep-data

…  But I’m still not happy about a legit WD firmware update bricking my drive…  Needless to say… SSH is now enabled…  Now if I can stop that green LED from constantly flashing and getting the unit to sleep like it did previously…

Got the 1 TB MyBook Live and updated to the latest firmware last night and ever since I’m having the same trouble as everyone else. Was really wanting the updated firmware so I could use wd2go instead of mionet.

I bought my MBL on newegg less than a month ago.

So frustrating.

Probably just going to wait and see if WD comes up with a fix since so many are having the same problem.

I Have the same problem, but…How do we to update the firmware if we can’t access to the web UI???

Hello, all

I have been suffering the same issue as it is commented here. I could not access MBL using the Dashboard.

But finally I got to solve it! I include here what I did:

1. The files  /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini and  /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini_safe were empty.

2. I followed the link below to recreate the config for these files:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/About-MBL-not-going-to-sleep-log-files-filling-system-partition/td-p/322457/page/2

Basically something similar to:

SUBDOMAIN=“”
DEVICEID=“88437”
DEVICEAUTH=“a6c5dd2cf4c792caa9be27199f018629”
EXTERNAL_IP=“”
EXTERNAL_PORT=“”
EXTERNAL_SSL_PORT=“443”
INTERNAL_IP=“10.0.1.2”
INTERNAL_PORT=“80”
DEVICE_SSL_PORT=“443”
REMOTEACCESS=“TRUE”
COMMUNICATION_STATUS=“relayed”
DEFAULT_PORTS_ONLY=“FALSE”
MANUAL_PORT_FORWARD=“FALSE”
MANUAL_EXTERNAL_ROUTER_IP=“”

TOTAL_SETTINGS=“17”
MANUAL_EXTERNAL_HTTP_PORT=“80”
MANUAL_EXTERNAL_HTTPS_PORT=“443”

Do not forget to include any line, specially the lastest lines. 

1. Reboot the MBL

And that’s all!! Enjoy the Dashboard!!