Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

I was referring to when I initially tried to upgrade the firmware. Once the UI is dead, there is no way to update the firmware - you have a brick and can only send it back to WD to receive a re-certified unit.

Hey jstrathma,

Thanks for the post about me finding a new job. Appreciate it. (BTW - We are aquiring Hitachi, so I will have to look at the other companies).

That being said, we are still awaiting drives that are being sent through our customer service center. Once we have drives that exhibit this behaviour, we will be able to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Also, I am not a Moderator. I am a product manager - so seeing these kinds of issues and the results of lots of hard work by the teams here tainted by these kinds of issues pisses me off. I don’t want any of you to have these issues, but no matter how much we try, we can never catch everything.

I am also trying to figure out a way we can help customers that get into this situation. I think that Myron may have mentioned this, but one way may be to change the behaviour of the reset button. Holding it in for 10+ seconds would factory reset without losing data. I have submitted that as a request to the development team to look at for future firmware updates.

ok - back to updating my resume…

WD Tony, there is a few things that you can do to ease some of your customers woes in this stuation.

How about giving them new drives instead of refurbished ones and also a prepaid label so the bricked units can be returned for free.

You could also ensure that customers correspondence is answered.

This sort of gesture will at least make us feel like WD care and will help with brand loyalty. I fully understand that things go wrong, bur it’s how the company behave after thats important.

Thanks for your suggestion but I live in argentina and the Warranty is no longer valid here. :angry:

Yes Tony. That would be awseome and quite possibly dooable.  For example…  I’ve already seen it’s possible to do a factory restore without formatting.  So…  Performing a factory restore without format could move all the shares into the root of the Public folder maybe some other named directory under the Public folder could be the container for all the shares.  Once that is done the procedure to perform a factory restore without format ALREADY seems to be in place!!!

After design a procedure where directories can be moved internally within the MBL from one share to any another only by the administrator/owner via the Dashboard UI.  I know this can be done as I’ve moved gigabytes of data from one irectory to another on the MBL using the mv command on the Linux command line.  Just need to design a user friendly interface for a-n-other user who may know nothing about Linux.

If there is a limitation with the reset button in hardware then something like this can be built in.

• Press the rest button for over 4 second.
  • The MBL the waits for 20 seconds for a second activation of the reset button.
  • If this does not happen then the standard reset and reboot happens as it does now.
  • If there is a second reset button activation within the wait period then an additional 20 second wait is added and if there is no third activation of the reset button then the no-data-loss factory restore is performed and an add.
  • If there is a third activation of the reset buttoin then the standard reboot ans/or factory reset/restore is aborted.

The reset requested can be indicated by the colour of the LED on the front of the MBL.

Maybe you could have a fourth recet action where a full destructive factory restore is performed BUT provide the option for an additional press of the reset button which can cancel any and all of the reset actions?

That would be a good addition.   :slight_smile:

Possibly, maybe, rearrange this so the activation sequence could go like this…

1. Reset networking to DHCP, clean owner password and reboot.
  2. SSH is anabled. No networking reset, password reset or reboot.
  3. Abort reset action.
  4. Factory restore without format.
  5. Factory restore with format.
  6. Abort reset action.

I can see this would work very well. At least enabling SSH will allow W.D. technical support a route into the back to see what’s gone wrong.

A common sense approach.  :smiley:

Also, should the facility to enable SSH be built in to that the physical reset switch does, how about the development team write a very special diagnostic script. Something that can be run from the Linux command line that presents a menu which allows some advanced system restoration.  Like resetting or altering the configuration the internal web server and other services. Also something specific that, say, restores the Apache2 web server and associated Dashboard UI and WebDAV to a known working condition.

The main issue is to be able to get a road in to the internal workings of the MyBook Live should the Dashboard UI decide to go on strike.

What the reset button action could do is reset networking components to a default working state and also validate that the SSH, TelnetD and SFTP daemons are in their correct operation state before enabling SSH access using the default username and password.

The first reset action should do the checks to make sure that networking and SSH is enabled, obviously rebooting the MBL,  The two poke reset button action would actually enable SSH.  If SSH is enabled then the second poke of the reset button does nothing apart from making sure SSH stays enabled over subsequent reboots and power-cycles.

Giving W.D. solutions here and not even asking to get paid!  :smiley:

Philgo - couldn’t agree more. Knowing that there was some sort of issue with the firmware upgrade is something I understand can happen, especially considering all the systems and configuration differences we all have. I think what ticks me off the most, other than not having a hard reset without loss of data, is the lack of service from WD - getting re-certified drives sent to us instead of new, when you receive the re-certified drive it’s not even on the latest firmware so everyone is scared to download the newest firmware, and I have to pay to send the bricked drive back. None of that has anything to do with the tech guys working in the trenches to find issues, repair them, and improve their future firmware. Instead, it has everything to do with customer service from WD.

So far I’ve only ever encounteed problems with the Dashboard UI and had fo “enable” a few features by very mindly tweaking the Linux OS’s services. Apart from that the MyBook Live I’ve got os proving to be quite reliable.  I actually use it as the work-space for video editing projects. It’s more than fast enough to cope.  :smiley:

It sits in the corner of a room, out of the way and gets power through a surge/RFI filter.

Agree, the device works great when it’s working. The UI is important, though, when setting up users’ permissions, shares, and mobile acces. For those of you receiving re-certified units, although I would have preferred a new one, the re-cert device works as good as the original - just as fast, easy setup, same running temp, etc. Also, you will get a warranty for whatever time amount was left on your original device.

rubenrubio wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion but I live in argentina and the Warranty is no longer valid here. :angry:

Did you say that the firmware update bricked your device? 

jstrathman wrote:
Agree, the device works great when it’s working. The UI is important, though, when setting up users’ permissions, shares, and mobile acces. For those of you receiving re-certified units, although I would have preferred a new one, the re-cert device works as good as the original - just as fast, easy setup, same running temp, etc. Also, you will get a warranty for whatever time amount was left on your original device.

These devices have to be certified to verify that they are putting out the same parameters as any new device.  How old was your original MBL?

My original one was 2 months old, or so. The re-cert one works just as good as the original and I have had no issues with the re-cert device. I am, however, very tepid about doing any firmware upgrades as I do not feel like going through the whole replacement process again and paying to ship another device back. I have only had the re-cert device for about a week and plan to ship the original (bricked) device back to WD early next week.

Hi Thanks but now if I can enable SSH whoat can I do to restore my WEB UI, I download the PUTTY program, but i can’t find the solution!!

jstrathman wrote:
My original one was 2 months old, or so. The re-cert one works just as good as the original and I have had no issues with the re-cert device. I am, however, very tepid about doing any firmware upgrades as I do not feel like going through the whole replacement process again and paying to ship another device back. I have only had the re-cert device for about a week and plan to ship the original (bricked) device back to WD early next week.

I can’t blame you.  If you did the update through the network, then you definitely don’t want to try it that way again.  But if you feel you need to do the firmware update, then you will want to do it manually.  That does seem to work better in some cases. 

Hi my device has buy may 2011, an I upgrade when a firmware is availab le

Hi,

I am also having the same problem and my MBL is only a 5 days old and happened after the firmware upgrade and i even did it manually. After reading through the forum and tried everything, it seems nothing works as well…

Guess I will have to contact the local WD here in my country for a replacement as I had yet to set the WD2go for my new Ipad 2 as well. What a let down.

Suggestion to WD, please consider taking down the new updated firmware until this is resolve as this is really frustrating to all the users out there.

Thanks

I just posted how I managed to manually do the update, see if that helps:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/How-I-unbricked-my-MBL-after-the-November-2012-firmware-update/td-p/317361

It to have a similar problem but got there in a different way. I updated my firmware via the Internet when I got my MBL last month. Played with it for several days then did a  factory reset and long format. I set the unit up with the shares, users, name and static IP. The last thing I did was re-apply the firmware via file and bye bye UI. The strange thing is it is not totally gone. If I go http://campscloud/UI I get the “Let us help you” window only. I can go directly to any of the main pages but cannot effect a change. EG http://campscloud/UI/settings/ and I can navigate the tabs and open drop downs. I can add an email address for user notifications but it wont take. I can type a new name for the MBL but can not save it and worst of all I can select enable SSH but it wont enable. I have done several more resets and am back to DHCP but no UI. The MBL is serving data just fine. I running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I have used several versions of IE, Firefox and Chrome.

I will be calling support this morning.

I seem to have encountered the same problem after following the installations instructions and firmware upgrade.

I found a way round it by using the software from the installation CD to access the drive, after re-installing it select option “1-Open your MyBook Live” you can then access the drive.

This is a temporary solution, I hope, I wrote to WD and still waiting for a reply back. …funny to say… when i double click on the  MBL shortcut, it directs me to the following link -  http://mybooklive.co.uk/  ( chrome and FF)

This seems to be a software issue as I can access the device from my iPad using the relevant apps. The hardware seems to be in perfect condition and I will wait for WD to resolve their software issues, being firmware and/or UI.

I dont have ssh access and mybooklive is bricked. Any hope?