Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

I’m assuming that your MBL is getting it’s DNS settings from the router?

I know thiis may not seem related, but try set the router to use Google’s DNS resolver.  IP addres is 8.8.8.8. There is a remote chance the Dashboard UI might come alive.

The DNS servers I use are OpenDNS and not had issues.

I can’t see how changing the DNS servers used when the NAS is on your local network but I guess anything is worth a try.

Ever since I reserved an IP and set the DNS’s on my computers to 8.8.8.8 I’ve not had any dashboard or lost connection  or firmware update problems.  This was months ago though, before any 2.xx.xx firmware.

Thing is, setting the DNS setting on the computers or to the router to 8.8.8.8 does not make sense to me, but I seen others advising this so no harm in trying. Everything on my network is gets the network parameters from the router’s DHCP service.

If it’s not your equipment and/or network then it’s an internal software fault within the MyBook Live and, unfortunatly for Western Digital, their development team have misses something and as such Western Digital’s responsibility.

Check their terms and conditions of the warranty, etc…

I too am having the same problem. 

Ihave the same problem, I tryed all the solutions thath y read before, but nothing works, I think how we can apply the new firmware if this futhercome sove this problem?. Anybody try this:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-307650#post-1003066

and works? how can I do???

Sorry for my English. In the Spanish forum no have solutions!!!

Interesting…  I have tried to take a copy of important configuration files and other files and while FileZilla was taking copied of files, it encountered errors only within **/etc/apache2/mods-available**.

Error:	Directory /etc/apache2/mods-available/negotiation.conf: no such file or directory
Error:	Failed to retrieve directory listing

Yet I telnet to the NAS and for sure it’s a file and it’s contents is . . .

<IfModule mod_negotiation.c>
#
# LanguagePriority allows you to give precedence to some languages
# in case of a tie during content negotiation.
#
# Just list the languages in decreasing order of preference. We have
# more or less alphabetized them here. You probably want to change this.
#
LanguagePriority en ca cs da de el eo es et fr he hr it ja ko ltz nl nn no pl pt pt-BR ru sv tr zh-CN zh-TW

#
# ForceLanguagePriority allows you to serve a result page rather than
# MULTIPLE CHOICES (Prefer) [in case of a tie] or NOT ACCEPTABLE (Fallback)
# [in case no accepted languages matched the available variants]
#
ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback

</IfModule>

It’s not the content that’s the issue. It is why has thid file, and an number of others, been misidentified as directories? All within a directory that the Apache2 web server used and . . . .

. . . there have been many complaints that thre Dashboard UI fails!  Could these two issues be linked in some way?

I’m having the same issue; the workaround I found is opening wdlive.local/UI/ssh

After spending 2 hours on the phone with WD support, they ran me through a number of things “they heard might fix the issue,”  such as installing the latest version of Flash and Java (because that has everything to do with the fact that I cannot get to http://MyBookDied/UI!!!)  In the end, the firmware update did not load all the files to the UI directory correctly.  There is no way to revert back to an older version of the firmware. 

Like many other posters, I was informed that they could send me a re-certified unit which I just received.  Funny enough, upon opening the drive WD sent me, it does not have the latest firmware and immediately prompted me to download and install it!  Instead of going through the hassle, I will quietly sit in the dark and use the old firmware for as long as the drive runs and will never upgrade the device (or buy another WD product again).

To top it off, I have to pay to ship my old drive back within 30 days of receiving the re-certified unit and I only receive the warranty left from the old drive.

To Tony the WD moderator, I am sure Hitachi, Fujitsu, or Seagate is hiring.  Good luck.

when you updated the FW that bricked your Dashboard, was that an “over the internet” update, or did you download the file to your desktop then install manually?

I install over the internet!!:angry:

I ran it from the Internet.

Hi but how can you Update if can’t acces to the UI??

I was referring to when I initially tried to upgrade the firmware. Once the UI is dead, there is no way to update the firmware - you have a brick and can only send it back to WD to receive a re-certified unit.

Hey jstrathma,

Thanks for the post about me finding a new job. Appreciate it. (BTW - We are aquiring Hitachi, so I will have to look at the other companies).

That being said, we are still awaiting drives that are being sent through our customer service center. Once we have drives that exhibit this behaviour, we will be able to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Also, I am not a Moderator. I am a product manager - so seeing these kinds of issues and the results of lots of hard work by the teams here tainted by these kinds of issues pisses me off. I don’t want any of you to have these issues, but no matter how much we try, we can never catch everything.

I am also trying to figure out a way we can help customers that get into this situation. I think that Myron may have mentioned this, but one way may be to change the behaviour of the reset button. Holding it in for 10+ seconds would factory reset without losing data. I have submitted that as a request to the development team to look at for future firmware updates.

ok - back to updating my resume…

WD Tony, there is a few things that you can do to ease some of your customers woes in this stuation.

How about giving them new drives instead of refurbished ones and also a prepaid label so the bricked units can be returned for free.

You could also ensure that customers correspondence is answered.

This sort of gesture will at least make us feel like WD care and will help with brand loyalty. I fully understand that things go wrong, bur it’s how the company behave after thats important.

Thanks for your suggestion but I live in argentina and the Warranty is no longer valid here. :angry:

Yes Tony. That would be awseome and quite possibly dooable.  For example…  I’ve already seen it’s possible to do a factory restore without formatting.  So…  Performing a factory restore without format could move all the shares into the root of the Public folder maybe some other named directory under the Public folder could be the container for all the shares.  Once that is done the procedure to perform a factory restore without format ALREADY seems to be in place!!!

After design a procedure where directories can be moved internally within the MBL from one share to any another only by the administrator/owner via the Dashboard UI.  I know this can be done as I’ve moved gigabytes of data from one irectory to another on the MBL using the mv command on the Linux command line.  Just need to design a user friendly interface for a-n-other user who may know nothing about Linux.

If there is a limitation with the reset button in hardware then something like this can be built in.

• Press the rest button for over 4 second.
  • The MBL the waits for 20 seconds for a second activation of the reset button.
  • If this does not happen then the standard reset and reboot happens as it does now.
  • If there is a second reset button activation within the wait period then an additional 20 second wait is added and if there is no third activation of the reset button then the no-data-loss factory restore is performed and an add.
  • If there is a third activation of the reset buttoin then the standard reboot ans/or factory reset/restore is aborted.

The reset requested can be indicated by the colour of the LED on the front of the MBL.

Maybe you could have a fourth recet action where a full destructive factory restore is performed BUT provide the option for an additional press of the reset button which can cancel any and all of the reset actions?

That would be a good addition.   :slight_smile:

Possibly, maybe, rearrange this so the activation sequence could go like this…

1. Reset networking to DHCP, clean owner password and reboot.
  2. SSH is anabled. No networking reset, password reset or reboot.
  3. Abort reset action.
  4. Factory restore without format.
  5. Factory restore with format.
  6. Abort reset action.

I can see this would work very well. At least enabling SSH will allow W.D. technical support a route into the back to see what’s gone wrong.

A common sense approach.  :smiley:

Also, should the facility to enable SSH be built in to that the physical reset switch does, how about the development team write a very special diagnostic script. Something that can be run from the Linux command line that presents a menu which allows some advanced system restoration.  Like resetting or altering the configuration the internal web server and other services. Also something specific that, say, restores the Apache2 web server and associated Dashboard UI and WebDAV to a known working condition.

The main issue is to be able to get a road in to the internal workings of the MyBook Live should the Dashboard UI decide to go on strike.

What the reset button action could do is reset networking components to a default working state and also validate that the SSH, TelnetD and SFTP daemons are in their correct operation state before enabling SSH access using the default username and password.

The first reset action should do the checks to make sure that networking and SSH is enabled, obviously rebooting the MBL,  The two poke reset button action would actually enable SSH.  If SSH is enabled then the second poke of the reset button does nothing apart from making sure SSH stays enabled over subsequent reboots and power-cycles.

Giving W.D. solutions here and not even asking to get paid!  :smiley:

Philgo - couldn’t agree more. Knowing that there was some sort of issue with the firmware upgrade is something I understand can happen, especially considering all the systems and configuration differences we all have. I think what ticks me off the most, other than not having a hard reset without loss of data, is the lack of service from WD - getting re-certified drives sent to us instead of new, when you receive the re-certified drive it’s not even on the latest firmware so everyone is scared to download the newest firmware, and I have to pay to send the bricked drive back. None of that has anything to do with the tech guys working in the trenches to find issues, repair them, and improve their future firmware. Instead, it has everything to do with customer service from WD.

So far I’ve only ever encounteed problems with the Dashboard UI and had fo “enable” a few features by very mindly tweaking the Linux OS’s services. Apart from that the MyBook Live I’ve got os proving to be quite reliable.  I actually use it as the work-space for video editing projects. It’s more than fast enough to cope.  :smiley:

It sits in the corner of a room, out of the way and gets power through a surge/RFI filter.