Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

I got to stand shoulder to shoulder with WDTony here.  A firmware upgrade is actually more of a firmware replacement. The firmware on the MBL is not exacy upgraded. Just seems like some house keeping is done during the firmware update and various configuration files are preserved.

I’ve had a look through the directory structure under /var/www and from what I can see, everything that needs to be there seems to be there.  Actually, for me, the Dashboard UI seems to be a lot more responsive.

Got to admit that after two failed attempts to update the firmware from a file via. the Dashboard UI resorted to copying the file to the MBL manually an invoking the script that the Dashboard UI should have invoked to perform the update. That’s how I’ll be performing the firmware update from now on.

As in make sure the firmware file is already copied across via the Samba service of the FTP service and then invokling the upgrade script reom the Linux command prompt.

roofdog wrote:

The tech support guy said the “firmware upgrade didn’t install all the files for the UI”.  I assume the way he immediately understand the issue that it is a known issue… What I don’t understand is if it is a know issue and numberous people are having the issue… WHY IS THE UPGRADE STILL OUT THERE?  

An update from my situation.   I got a voicemail from a WD Tech Support Supervisor regarding my open ticket but we have been playing phone tag.  Not sure iif it is a standard escallation type call or if they have something new to say.

Unfortunately I did get another call from Office Max.  They have decided to no longer sell MBL devices so they are going to come and pick it up at my house (never had that before) and then issue me a refund.  :cry:  This is unfortunate because I got a REALLY GOOD deal on the MBL which I haven’t found from any other retailer.

The “Bonjour Print Services for Windows” packages installed Apple’s Bonjour Service. Just thought refreshing the Bonjour Service within Windows might solve a mDNS problem, if it exists and if it might be broken/corrupt

I have, recently, for some reason encountered a few Windows installations where the operating has stopped resolving domain names to IP addresses. So far I’ve not found out why.  Performing a system restore to a point before the problem appears seems to work.

Hi,

Still have the issue. I tried all the advise, and none of them worked on my network.

I was wondering, if  WD was aware of that big issue, that probably affects thousands of users around the world ???

Hallo Tony.

Just to inform the community that more than three weeks ago I posted a message describing the problems I had with my MBL after an automatic FW upgrade.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WD-Mybook-with-ethernet-interface-partial-failure/td-p/289112

I opened an RMA and sent the disk. Might be you can get it and run test on it without the need of replicating the problem.

Let me know if the RMA # can be of use for you

I have an idea for the My Book Live firmware.  WDTony, you taking notice of this.

When the firmware update is performed that the previous firmware is put to one side.  If for any reason there is a problem with the Dashboard UI then there is some form of mechanism to revert to the previous firmware to debrick the MBL.

An idea could be pressing the reset button and waiting for the GREEN or RED led to show then within 1 minute pressing the reset button a second time initiates reversal of the firmware upgrade.  If the reset button is pressed any time after one minute has passed then the normal reset of the networking parameters to DHCP, clearing the owner password and the resetting of the root password then reboot happens.

This is to mimic a functionality of the 500Gb LaCie NAS I have and which had a wonderful debricking procedure.  With the LaCie NAS if the switch is turned off and on within three seconds of turning on the NAS reverts to it’s factory pre-installed firmware and then the firmware upgrades can be attempted again.  LaCie’s method of debricking a seriously bricked NAS works perfecty.

The WD MBL URGENTLY needs some sort of debricking mechanism.

During power-up, if the reset button is held in then the boot process performs a firmware recovery as opposed to a normal boot-up sequence.

There should also be a way to enable (if disabled) SSH if the Dashboard UI dies.

Having SSH enabled has helped me recover my MBL’s Dashboard UI twice and not having to send it to Western Digital for a Warranty Swap.

Even my LinkSys has an EXCELLENT (yet un-documented) debricking procedure. During start-up it looks for a TFTP server on a particular IP address and when found it looks for a specifically named firmware file.

Why can’t the MBL have a user debricking procedure. Actually, was was a debricking procedure not designed into the MBL from the beginning?  (The LaCie drive has a excellent debricking dunction.)

The .local solution does not work. My MBL was a few months old, network shares were setup, WD2Go acess was setup, along with WD Photos on my iPhone. The shares still work, WD Photos still works, Twonky still works via my Playstation 3, WD2Go no longer works, and most importantly, no pages load at the /ui locaction anymore either by IP or name of MBL.  Other than the shared folders, WD Photos and Twonky it’s now just a brick with no ability to setup new users or new remote access.  I also tried to ping the MBL by IP and name and both work. 

Also, using WD Quick View on my Windows machine, I can access http://MBL/UI/learn_center/learn_main/en_US.  I simply cannot get to the main UI page.  So, it appears some UI pages are working.  Can you provide the URLs to other key pages like remote access?

Another interesting thing, some pages, like the main UI page, simply come up blank.  Other pages give an error of: 

CakePHP: the rapid development php framework 
Not Found

Error: The requested address ‘/en_US’ was not found on this server.

WD - need help getting UI back up as I need to make changes for remote access.  As a result of the firmware “upgrade” I cannot access the UI to remove users from remote access (might be a liability problem for WD if there’s no fix in sight!).

I wonder why not all MBL’s are affected. Mine is brand new and I updated the firmware with no problems apart from it wouldn’t reboot on it’s own.

I have a good cable broadband connection, could it be possible that the bricked ones had corrupt firmware downloads.

Hi,> * * *
Philgo wrote:

I wonder why not all MBL’s are affected. Mine is brand new and I updated the firmware with no problems apart from it wouldn’t reboot on it’s own.

That means that there is for sure a way to recover our bricked MBL. I really hope…

I just wanted to let the WD support know that I have exactly the same issue with my few month old WD Mybook Live!!!

No chance to access http://mybooklive/UI anymore - not by its name nor ip address.

Just like @jstrathman I have configured everything right and was also successfully using the WD2Go app on my iPhone to access the drive.

Since the latest firmware update yesterday the drive is bricked now - thank you WD!!!

Although I can still access all data on it and I can also access http://MBL/UI/learn_center/learn_main/de_DE

What can I do other than have it replaced with a “refurbished” one?! :angry: 

I’m assuming that your MBL is getting it’s DNS settings from the router?

I know thiis may not seem related, but try set the router to use Google’s DNS resolver.  IP addres is 8.8.8.8. There is a remote chance the Dashboard UI might come alive.

The DNS servers I use are OpenDNS and not had issues.

I can’t see how changing the DNS servers used when the NAS is on your local network but I guess anything is worth a try.

Ever since I reserved an IP and set the DNS’s on my computers to 8.8.8.8 I’ve not had any dashboard or lost connection  or firmware update problems.  This was months ago though, before any 2.xx.xx firmware.

Thing is, setting the DNS setting on the computers or to the router to 8.8.8.8 does not make sense to me, but I seen others advising this so no harm in trying. Everything on my network is gets the network parameters from the router’s DHCP service.

If it’s not your equipment and/or network then it’s an internal software fault within the MyBook Live and, unfortunatly for Western Digital, their development team have misses something and as such Western Digital’s responsibility.

Check their terms and conditions of the warranty, etc…

I too am having the same problem. 

Ihave the same problem, I tryed all the solutions thath y read before, but nothing works, I think how we can apply the new firmware if this futhercome sove this problem?. Anybody try this:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-307650#post-1003066

and works? how can I do???

Sorry for my English. In the Spanish forum no have solutions!!!

Interesting…  I have tried to take a copy of important configuration files and other files and while FileZilla was taking copied of files, it encountered errors only within **/etc/apache2/mods-available**.

Error:	Directory /etc/apache2/mods-available/negotiation.conf: no such file or directory
Error:	Failed to retrieve directory listing

Yet I telnet to the NAS and for sure it’s a file and it’s contents is . . .

<IfModule mod_negotiation.c>
#
# LanguagePriority allows you to give precedence to some languages
# in case of a tie during content negotiation.
#
# Just list the languages in decreasing order of preference. We have
# more or less alphabetized them here. You probably want to change this.
#
LanguagePriority en ca cs da de el eo es et fr he hr it ja ko ltz nl nn no pl pt pt-BR ru sv tr zh-CN zh-TW

#
# ForceLanguagePriority allows you to serve a result page rather than
# MULTIPLE CHOICES (Prefer) [in case of a tie] or NOT ACCEPTABLE (Fallback)
# [in case no accepted languages matched the available variants]
#
ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback

</IfModule>

It’s not the content that’s the issue. It is why has thid file, and an number of others, been misidentified as directories? All within a directory that the Apache2 web server used and . . . .

. . . there have been many complaints that thre Dashboard UI fails!  Could these two issues be linked in some way?

I’m having the same issue; the workaround I found is opening wdlive.local/UI/ssh

After spending 2 hours on the phone with WD support, they ran me through a number of things “they heard might fix the issue,”  such as installing the latest version of Flash and Java (because that has everything to do with the fact that I cannot get to http://MyBookDied/UI!!!)  In the end, the firmware update did not load all the files to the UI directory correctly.  There is no way to revert back to an older version of the firmware. 

Like many other posters, I was informed that they could send me a re-certified unit which I just received.  Funny enough, upon opening the drive WD sent me, it does not have the latest firmware and immediately prompted me to download and install it!  Instead of going through the hassle, I will quietly sit in the dark and use the old firmware for as long as the drive runs and will never upgrade the device (or buy another WD product again).

To top it off, I have to pay to ship my old drive back within 30 days of receiving the re-certified unit and I only receive the warranty left from the old drive.

To Tony the WD moderator, I am sure Hitachi, Fujitsu, or Seagate is hiring.  Good luck.

when you updated the FW that bricked your Dashboard, was that an “over the internet” update, or did you download the file to your desktop then install manually?

I install over the internet!!:angry: