Can I delete the 'software' folder in my public share?

I don’t want the software folder in public share to be visible.  Is it safe to delete this?  It looks like it only contains what’s on the install CD?

ACTUALLY THIS IS A SYSTEM FOLDER FOR THE MY BOOK LIVE. I DON'T THINK YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DELETE IT.

Are you sure?  Why on earth did they put it on a public share then?

ACTUALLY SIR, THIS SHARES ARE CONFIGURE IN LINUX SO CX CAN ACCESS FROM WINDOWS, MAC AND LINUX OPERATING SYSTEM. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DELETE THIS SHARES EVEN YOU TRY TO.

satoshi wrote:

Are you sure?  Why on earth did they put it on a public share then?

… so all users can access it.

But the other poster is correct; the permissions are set so that it cannot be deleted.

Strangely, files can be ADDED, but then the user that added the files cannot delete them either.

I copied one of the files over to my computer, then deleted it from the NAS.  After re-connecting to the NAS, it’s still gone.

So…?

Are we talking about the same folder?  I’m referring to the one in the Public share called ‘Software’

I’m referring to the folder path /public/software/SmartWare

Strangely, though, when I mount it via Linux, I can delete it, but only if I’m logged in as ROOT.

Linux:

[root@mars SmartWare]# pwd
/mounts/temp/Software/SmartWare
[root@mars SmartWare]# touch ttest.1
[root@mars SmartWare]# rm ttest.1
rm: remove regular empty file `ttest.1'? y
[root@mars SmartWare]# ls -la
total 6528
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-10-22 08:36 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-10-21 21:07 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 76 2010-06-09 15:36 autorun_2.inf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 76 2010-06-09 15:36 autorun.inf
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-07-14 14:53 Extras
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-07-14 14:52 Help
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-10-21 21:03 New Text Document.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6387200 2010-07-02 11:33 WDNasOnboarding.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 96768 2010-07-02 11:33 WdNetworkDiscovery.dll
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2010-07-14 14:53 WD SmartWare
[root@mars SmartWare]# rm New\ Text\ Document.txt 
rm: remove regular empty file `New Text Document.txt'? y
[root@mars SmartWare]#

Windows:

Yes it looks like you can add and delete anything in the public software folder but not from the public software/smartware folder or below.

richUK wrote:

Yes it looks like you can add and delete anything in the public software folder but not from the public software/smartware folder or below.

Out of Interest:

I have now found that I can delete any file from the smartware folder if I use a computer running windows 98.

Now THAT is FUNNY.   I haven’t seen one of those in a LOOONG TIME.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Now THAT is FUNNY.   I haven’t seen one of those in a LOOONG TIME.

It just shows how useful old operating systems can be.

Please Note that this solution formats the NAS so please move any data from the NAS to another hard drive before attempting!

I have another solution to this problem but it requires that the NAS is empty.  From the NAS dashboard choose settings/utilities/factory restore/quick factory restore and click start. This process deletes everything from the drive and upon reboot all you have is a public folder with empty folders.  You can now delete the empty SOFTWARE folder if you wish. Enjoy!

Bill