Being prompted for password

When trying to use any web browser to look at my My Book Live3TB with latest firmware, I am being prompted for a userid and password. None of the userid’s that come with the MyBooKLive (admin and root ) work. I even went as far as creating a new user, to no avail. I was trying to do this because I am trying to get this MYBOOK working with ROKU and RoxsBox as a media player but it is also asking for the userid and password. Any help would be great

Thanks

Sal

scalfa wrote:

When trying to use any web browser to look at my My Book Live3TB with latest firmware …  I am being prompted for a userid

What exactly do you mean by this?   When you browse to the MBL via a web browser, it will NOT ask for a User ID.  It only asks for the Owner Password (if one is set.)

Maybe a screen-shot would help.

If I am in any web browser (IE…Chrome) i type the ipaddress of the My Book Live (Ex)

ip_address/Public

I am then prompted for a userid and password

look at the following screen shot

www.soft-quess.com/ie.jpg

or

www.soft-quess.com/chrome.jpg

The reason I went down this path is I am trying to get my ROKU device which has a DLNA player channel called RoxsBox to run my videos and music. My previous NAS device which was a Zyxel NSA221 does this fine as well as display the folders and files in a web browser

see screen shot

www.soft-quess.com/zyxel-ie.jpg

or

www.soft-quess.com/zyxel-chrome.jpg

So either i need the information as to what userid it is looking for or what I need to turn off in the My Book Live for it not to prompt for the userid and password. Any help would be appreciated

Sal

scalfa wrote:

If I am in any web browser (IE…Chrome) i type the ipaddress of the My Book Live (Ex)

ip_address/Public 

Uhm, well, THAT’S the problem.   You can’t access data via ANY webbrowser unless you’re using wdmycloud.com.

Apparently, your Zyxel has a web-based file manager.   The WD NASes do not.

But if all you’re trying to use is DLNA, that has nothing to do with using a web browser.

Guess Im screwed. The documention for the RoksBox on the ROKU:

Roksbox currently supports Basic Authentication.

Most likely, you don’t need to use any type of authentication.  If your media server is on your local network behind a router, then you probably don’t need to use authentication.  If your media server is directly connected to the internet without a router, or if you have your router open so you can access your server from outside your network, then you should probably use authentication.

If your media server is set up with Basic Authentication, it will require a username and password to access it.  To make sure your authentication is working proberly, try to access a directory or file on your server from a web browser.  The web browser should ask for a username and a password.  After entering the correct username and password, you should be able to see your directory or file.  If this doesn’t happen, reconfigure your server so that the authentication functions correctly.

Roksbox works the same way as a web browser.  If authentication is required, Roksbox will prompt for a username and a password.

Looking for another alternative

Thanks

Sal

scalfa wrote:

Guess Im screwed. 

Yes, since it appears that Roksbox REQUIRES an http-based file browser.  That, to me, seems a pretty severe limitation.

If that’s the case, you’re not going to be able to use it with the MBLs without serious hacking.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

scalfa wrote:

ip_address/Public 

Uhm, well, THAT’S the problem.   You can’t access data via ANY webbrowser unless you’re using wdmycloud.com.

Apparently, your Zyxel has a web-based file manager.   The WD NASes do not.

But if all you’re trying to use is DLNA, that has nothing to do with using a web browser.

With “Settings - Network - FTP” set to “Allow ftp” in the MyBookLive User Interface I can access the MBL’s shares over the local network via a browser if I use ftp://ip-address instead of http://ip-address  (after I respond to the prompt for a user ID and Password). Does this count as webbrowser access? I wonder whether the ROKU and RoxsBox will accept an ftp URL and if so then perhaps it will allow the poster to access his MBL that way.

1 Like

Found the answer to my problem. You were partially right about the file manager. I found a developer in France at this link:

http://www.highlevelbits.fr

He has a feature pack for the My Book Live as well as the Blue and White Rings.

There are a couple of interesting utilities with the feature pack but with the registered version you get a RoksBox package that you install with the feature pack. Once installed I can now use the web browser and go to the ip address of the my book live and see the files in the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder:

:8081
Once that worked I configured RoksBox on my Roku with:

:8081

After going through the configuration the RoksBox now see all my media on the My Book Live.

The cost for the registered version was 10 euros which turned out to be $13.85 after the pay pal surcharge. Great Application highly recommend it. This cleared up the Userid and Password prompt I was getting.

Thanks Sal