Backup to MBL via Smartware taking forever

Hi,

I installed SmartWare 2.1 and am in the process of doing my first backup. I choose the “File and Folder” method and selected the entire “C” drive - all in all it amounted to about 100 Gb. However “SmartWare” excluded 47Gb of that leaving about 53 Gb to back up. I started the backup.

15 hrs later all it had backed up was less than 16Gb and it has over 30 Gb of files listed under “Files Not Backed Up”. When I click “View Files” (under “Files not backed up”), it lists mostly larger files (50mb or more), lots of system files - which I suppose can be expected as maybe they’re busy, but it also lists some movie files and installation (“cab”) files. There’s no reason these shouldn’t have been backed up as I didn’t exclude them or mark their file type to be ignored.

Also, the “Copying Files” meter stays looking like a moving barbers pole rather than a progress meter - shouldn’t that have changed?

I got fed up, but left it running (it’s still going as I write this), so I started another backup program - just to make sure it wasn’t my WiFi slowing down. I ran a disk image backup using Macrium, sending it to the same MBL folder as the SmartWare backup. The Macrium backup was 96Gb and was fully complete in 5 hrs - so there’s nothing wrong with my WiFi…

According to Task Manager my disk is bouncing between 70% and 100% usage but network is only showing a max of around 480Kbps (pathetic). CPU is around 5%.

Surely after 15 Hrs the disk churning should have stopped by now and the backup complete? - or is the SmartWare 2.x version proving to be as much of a hog as I’ve read prior versions to be?

Unsatisfactory first experience with this so far…

Any ideas, or is this just what’s to be expected with SmartWare 2.x?

(Win 8, Smartware 2.1 and  Windows Defender for anti virus… Screen dims but computer staying awake.)

Please note that WD Smartware is not going to backup the system files.

Also, keep in mind that actual transfer rates can vary based on your local area network topology, hard drive disk read/write speeds, system activity, and length of cable. To achieve maximum transfer rates, we recommend using Giga-bit network devices, because your transfer rates will only be as fast as your slowest network component.

So if you have a router or the ethernet port on your that is not Giga-bit the tranfer will be slower than the expected for the drive.