Amber link light

Hi everyone, I have a MBL, Ethernet linked to a Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I am useing a MacBook Pro, a Windows 7 laptop, a desktop PC, iPad , couple of iphone’s (using the WD2go app), oh and a Sonos wireless music system. All are on the same network and function as they should with a fast (16mb) intrnet connection. Now the problem… The MBL is slow to upload files, appears a common problem. I have a ‘amber’ link light on the rear. I understand this indicates a low speed connection rate rather than the gigabyte I should surely be getting with my set up. Why should this be? Is there a setting somewhere that needs changing? A ‘naff’ cable connection? Faulty hardware? I am not an IT expert, and need any explanation to be simple! Thanks

the first thing I would check is the network cable, youre using ther one that came with the MBL?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WD-My-Book-Live-ethernet-connection-not-negotiating-at-1000-mbps/m-p/393503/message-uid/393503#U393503

Someone else with the same combination also reporting the same thing.

Looks like the MBL and APE don’t get along in some cases.

I have a Airport Exterme (latest model) on my desk and have no issues with the Link lights on the Airport or the MBL. Both are green. What version/model is your APE? Have you tried another port on the router/another cable? If you connect the My Book Live directly to your Mac, what color is the link light?

For a gigabit connection all 8 wires are utilised.  Are the plugs of both ends of your cable wired up as shown?

Rj45a.jpg

If memory serves right, if what you have is a cross-over cable then the oeange and green wires are swapped.  Blue and brown stay where they are.

Id there is a problem with the blue or brown wires making a connection then you’ll only get a 100 Mbps connection.