Accessing filesystem to modify Safepoint to exclude files/folders

The following posting discusses how to exclude files/folder from the Safepoint backup.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/How-to-perofrm-a-SafePoint-backup-and-exclude-bits-from-the/td-p/311820/highlight/true

My question (as a definite newbie) is how to easily make these modifications.  Step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated to simply remove a folder and all its subfolders (e.g. Public/Temp and all the subfolders) from the Safepoint process.

Thanks a bunch.

Hello,

I have never tried this since this is not supported and could void the warranty. Maybe some other users can give you some advice.

Why would you want to do such a thing?  Is there any data on your system that is not worth protecting?

In some cases, my MBL system is the main filesystem (e.g. pictures, videos, personal business info) and in some cases, it is used to backup multiple personal computers via WD SmartWare.  So, I want to use SafePoint to backup only portions of the system to a second WD system so that I can store a periodic backup offsite (e.g. quarterly). 

The posting noted above discusses how to do this.  Seems relatively simple (except for a non-Linux individual).

I would appreciate a step-by-step process from a Linux expert.