Accessing WD MyBookLive 3tb via Fedora Linux

Hello, I recently purchase a WD My Book Live network drive 3TB hoping to fullfill my storage needs on all my devices, setting it up using my MacBook pro is a snap, I also have a FreeNas 1TB filled with files and a Fedora Linux box, I’m trying to transfer files from my Linux box to WD MyBookLive but Fedora 18 seems to have a problem accessing MyBookLive, Is there way I can access it to transfer files from my Linux box and from FreeNAS. Thanks.

Egay9102013 wrote:

…Fedora 18 seems to have a problem accessing MyBookLive…,.

You’re going to have to be more specific than that…   WHAT problem?

It should be able to mount the MBL the same way you’d mount the FreeNAS…

I’m using Fedora 17 and have no issues connecting with any particular NAS.

There’s no official documentation on how to access MBL via Linux, Windows and Mac , yes but not Linux. I usually use filezilla in transfering files to my Freenas box (SFTP), setting it up first thru FreeNAS web gui then to the client computer, I dont want to mount it as a volume to my Fedora box, I just want to transfer files to it (MBL).

If anyone could post a “HOW TO” section here will be much appreciated.

like "How to transfer files to MBL on Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora)… or “How to mount MBL volume to your Linux box”…

How to mount MBL share to your Linux box:

Edit /etc/fstab, and add the following line (it is ONE line, not two as shown)

//10.0.0.32/TivoFiles /mounts/cntivo cifs rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/etc/samba/remotecreds 0 0

In the above example, change:

10.0.0.32  (IP Address of the MBL)

TiVoFiles  (Name of the share you want to mount)

/mounts/cntivo  (Local mountpoint)

Then, as root, create the file /etc/samba/remotecreds.  It should contain:

username=(whatever)
password=(whatever)

Change the permissions of the file so that ONLY ROOT has access to it:

chmod 600 /etc/samba/remotecreds

Update the active mounts:

mount -a

From now on, the mount will be established every time the system boots.

If you only want occasional access to the MBL, the built-in Gnome file browser (which comes with Fedora) can connect easily.

Open the file manager, and click “File… Connect to Server…”, and change “Type” to “Windows Share:”

Fill in the Servername or IP address of your MBL, Share Name (as Share), and Workgroup Name (as Domain), User Name and Password (if needed), and click CONNECT:

Voila:

Thank you so much!! It works!