Accessing My Book Live HDD (via usb enclosure) from linux

Hi, I had exactly the same problem

The Mybooklive 2Tb that worked flawlessly suddenly refused me access to the UI. I actually thought that maybe i had forgotten my password so I carried out a reset using the reset button. No my drive starts up but does not obtain an IP address at all from the router. The green light constantly blinks but I cannot gain access by any method.

Reading some of the other posts it seems that as I had automatic updates set, the most resent update has bricked the device.

My device has a lot of important info so I like you took the drive out and put it in a USB enclosure, after 4 or 5 hours trying different versions of Linux Distro I still could not get the unit to mount due to the large block size.

I went back to Windows and found a really good program for mounting EXT4 drives on windows 7 http://driesve.tumblr.com/post/1560794187/how-to-mount-an-ext4-drive-in-windows-7.

Install the program and make sure you install the patch as the program by default will only read ext2 and 3 drives.

Im currently 13 hours into a copy from the bricked WD drive to a Netgear Stora NAS which has never let me down.

If you have any problems with the program let me know and ill try and help.

I really hope WD get to the bottom of these failed updates and release a recovery tool as the drive was not that cheap and i live in the middle east so sending it back is not really an option.

1 Like