Access My Book Live Private Share

Hi.  I am setting up a WD My Book Live 2TB drive.  I just updated the firmware to the latest version (02.42.02-012).  I can access the public share on the drive from the computers on our intranet (windows XP, Vista, 7).  I just map a drive to \ourdrivename\public.  But when I attempt to access a private share it will not authenticate.  I try to map a drive to the \ourdrivename\private share name.  It then brings up the login screen.  I use the login id and password for the user who has full access to the private share.  But it just keeps bringing up the login screen again and finally failing.  I also tried turning off Windows Firewall Security on the computer I am attempting to map the drive on with no luck.  Shouldn’t I be able to access a private share from my intranet?  The documentation that comes with the drive only refers to accessing the drive through WDs web site.

What’s the EXACT error message(s) you get? 

If I’m guessing right, it’s because you cannot access a PUBLIC share and then also access a PRIVATE share.   It’s a bizarre limitation of MS Windows.

You must first access the PRIVATE share, and THEN access the PUBLIC share.

I know, it’s silly.  Gotta love Microsoft.

I do not receive an error message.  I just attempt to map a drive letter to the share in Windows Explorer.   When I click on the Finish button a login dialog box comes up.  I enter my login id and password to the My Book Live and click on the Ok button.  The login dialog box just reappears as if you entered incorrect login credentials.

I still think it’s because you mapped the PUBLIC share first.