3Tb My Book Live - Dashboard Access Problem

Following message received when attempting to access MBL Dashboard:

"Forbidden

You don’t have persmission to access /UI on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I have reset the MBL (several times) to no avail. I know the password has been reset to blank which is strange as I thought it went back to 1234? I found this out by using WD Quick View to shutdown the unit (blank password activated shutdown). The IP has reset to 169.254.190.178 in Windows 7.

All my files are there still but no chance to access them until I can get back into the dashboard. The drive is 95% capacity if that has any bearing.

I would appreciate some help on this one please?

Cheers!

Andy

AndySnapper wrote: The IP has reset to 169.254.190.178 in Windows 7.

That’s the MBL’s IP or Windows IP? 

Either way, that IP address indicates DHCP is broken on your network and your system was unable to get an IP address.

1 Like

The IP relates to the information I can see in WD Discover. I am connecting the unit directly to a laptop and using an ethernet cable between the two. No point in connecting to my Windows network unless I can re-configure the IP address on the device (else the network won’t see it).

If I can access the MBL dashboard I can then manually set the correct IP and everything should be ok again. It is the inablility to do this that is my biggest problem. I had hoped that a reset would have enabled this but it hasn’t :frowning:

I appreciate your reply and any other ideas.

Andy

Ultimately, your Win7 box and the MBL must be on the same IP Subnet.

If the MBL was given a 169.254.x.x address, your PC must also have an address in that range in order to access the dashboard.

1 Like

So if I change the laptop’s IP manually to that of the MBL, I should be able to get into the dashboard and reconfigure the device IP?

Hadn’t thought of that,  will try it next.

Just have to figure how to change the IP of the laptop temporarily.

I don’t really see why that should make a difference though as WD Discover finds the device ok just doesn’t allow me to configure it. Isn’t the device address just like accessing a web page or am I missing something?

Thanks for the info

Andy

Thank you so much for this very helpful reply. It has enabled me to restore my MBL 3Tb to my network.

I just have to figure out why it doesn’t have internet access (probably a network issue rather than the MBL) and then I am back to full service.

Cheers!

Andy

Fixed the Internet access issue as well now. Just down to settings - all working now thanks :slight_smile:

Andy