2TB MBL stopped appearing as a DLNA

I cant see my 2TB MBL as a DNLA server on my Samsung TV or PS3 anymore? I have just moved to a new place and got a different internet service, but I can still access all folders using windows explorer etc, the only place I cant see it was where Twonky was involved so I decided it logically had to be a dlna incompatability issue, maybe after a software upgrade to the tv…

As I have read a number of posts on problems between twonky and samsung, I switched to the WD media server using the patch and it looked fine on the dashboard, but still nothing on the tv. So I reverted to twonky and paid out for a twonky 7 license, upgraded the mybook using Putty/ssh and it still doesnt appear on the tv - now I notice it isnt appearing on the PS3 either and probably hasnt since I started using the new router…

So I figured maybe the issue is with the router and twonky, so I have manually set the IP an matched it to Port Forwarding, but still nothing…

Please someone help me !! :( 

Hi, custom updates to the My Book Live are not supported by WD, but you can check if the router has any integrated firewall that might be blocking the My Book. You can also try pressing the reset button on the back of the My Book for 4 seconds.

1 Like

Hi Ichigo, many thanks for replying

So tried both of those, set up a gateway/forwarding on the router (more below) and using a pin held the reset button for 4 secs for what resulted in a reboot (is this any different to the dashboard option?) - either way, still no result on Samsung TV or PS3

The router is a bit confusing for a novice like me and my gut tells me this is the real problem. I found gateway/forwarding option on the router and after trawling google found the following ports for internal and external ports, so set both up using a button called “Create IPv4” as follows:

Internal IP 192.168.178.80 (the static IP I set MBL to after noting that DHCP was using 64 “CPEs”)

Start port: 80

End port: 443

External IP: XX.XX.XX.XX (guess its not a good idea to post this number,its what a website told me this was my real IP)

Start port: 8080

End port: 8443

UDP/TCP: BOTH

Enabled: Yes

One last note, for one brief period last week there was the icon on my tv, I found a film, it played, I exited the film and icon was gone. I could actually still play that film for a day or two after because it was in the memory list of the Samsung, even though the server icon itself never came back (many hours of trying since then). A day or 2 later (before Twonky7) til now, the tv wont play it from the list, respondng “The selected file is not currently supported”… it was an avi.

Long post, sorry, trying to be thorough.