12 hours to backup 270 gb anyway to make faster ?!?! share btween 2 pcs linux and windows - also

Hey everybody I am setting up my home network…the at&t guy is coming with the router next week so I jumped the gun and went to back up 270 gb from my laptop to the 2tb my book live NAS…

I am hooked up directly from the external to my laptop, and backup using the software. Is there anything to increase performance or can I expect this to he the fastest or even slower when using a router…

I have a desktop coming in the mail and plan on formatting my laptop to ubuntu to begin practicing programmign in java to make apps for my phone ( feel like gettig. A better understanding of linux as well)

I would like to use the external for my laptop as well my desktop will be running windows 7- any advice on using the device win linux or increasing uploading speed is appreciate

6-8 hours to move 270 gb seems like a long time but didn’t know if that is the norm this is my first external harddrive thanks !

I haven’t updated the firmware because I have no internet at my home…I’m posting here from my cell…

You can update the firmware manually.

Download to your laptop (or wherevery you have a PC available) and put it on a USB key, then use that key at home on your PC to install it via the web Gui.

That time is not out of the ordinary, btw…  There’s a lot going on in the first backup.   Indexing, compression, encyrption, etc…  

Later backups are much faster because only the CHANGES are updated.

And finally, don’t call it an external.  It’s a NAS.  :)

thanks for the tip

when i move my laptop to linux do you know if it has the same file format as windows

so will i be able to grab spreadsheets for instance that i put on the NAS from my windows

and open on my linux laptop?

thenazerith wrote:

thanks for the tip

when i move my laptop to linux do you know if it has the same file format as windows

so will i be able to grab spreadsheets for instance that i put on the NAS from my windows

and open on my linux laptop?

That has very little (if anything) to do with the NAS.

If you’re using compatible “Office” like software (such as Open Office and Microsoft Office) then yeah, they’re somewhat compatible…

Is this NAS compatable with Linux?  It says compatable with Windows and Mac on the box but nothing about Linux

That is why i ask

Yes, it’s “compatible.”  But it is not “supported.”

In other words, WD isn’t going to help you with your Linux box.

But I use Fedora 16 on one of my desktops and it has no problems at all with either NFS or Samba access to the MBL.

So…what you are really trying to say is…

Jking man thanks hahaha =)

I spent all that time backing up through the software and can’t find any of it I am copying directly to the shared folder now is this the best method to use the NAS

??? Best? Well, only you can say, because it depends entirely on what you are trying to do.

Where can I find the files I backup using the software Ibdo not see them in the shared folder

They’re in a hidden backup share. only SMARTWARE accesses the hidden share.