Remove share => MBLD is undiscoverable

I created a network share “Movies” and then deleted it. The operation timed out (I forgot the error code number it gave but it mentioend to check my network connectivity). Now the front LED is green and the ethernet LEDs are green yet I cannot ping the MBLD.

How do I debug this?

Is anyoene else seeing these type of stablity issues?

I am running MyBookLiveDuo FW 02.30.19-277.

I got Error 31319 - Unkown error. Please ensure you are not facing network connectivity issues and try again.

Then the unit is no longer responsive to network traffic (i.e. ping).

I don’t mean to insult you, but have you tried rebooting it (pulling the power)?

If so, and the light is coming up to a flashing green, can you access your router and see if it has issued an IP for the Duo?

Yes, the only way I can recover the unit is to pull the power. The MBLD always becomes unresponsive to network traffic and is therefore undiscoverable through the WD application.

And when the MBLD comes back up, it does renew its IP address and is network accessible.

Does the drive continue to loose connection just by being online, or is it every time you delete a share? Sorry, I have become a little lost between your posts.

What I am getting is -

1. You delete a share and the drive becomes no longer accessible.

2. After rebooting it becomes accessible again.

Does it continue to fall offline without deleting shares?

Thanks

Yes, the MBLD falls ofline without deleting shares. I cannot tell if the act of removing the share was the trigger so I am looking for help to debug this. Is there logging somewhere to see what is happening.

Under Support there is a button that will generate log files, but I cannot view them. WD prob has some way to, so that might help if you contact support.

You could enable SSH by changing the web browser from http://mybookliveduo/ui/# to http://mybookliveduo/ssh , then you can SSH into the console using a terminal emulator like putty.

If you are familiar with Linux perhaps you could find something. . .

Other than that I am not sure. I would hate to say do a factory restore. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion.

Oh, that sounds like  plan. I’ve alread submitted a trouble ticket yesterday to WD so I am hoping it gathered all the logs they needed when they pulled my serial number. It would be nice to hear back that they even received my submission.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5821/~/how-to-view-the-s.m.a.r.t.-status-of-a-my-book-live

Basically go the the “Support” section of the UI interface and select “Create and Save” diag report.

I worked with WD technical support and this unit is going to be returned to the vendor I bought it from. I’m not going to RMA it because WD is only offering a refurbished replacement. To me, this is not fair treatment considering I paid for a new unit.

I was contacted by 2 different technical support members. One instructed me to replace the ethernet cable and then the router and then to plug the MBLD directly into my computer. In all cases, the unit always fell off the network.

The second member of technical support wanted me to document all models and software versions of everything on my network layout so WD could reproduce this in their labs. I would have agreed to this if I were compensated for my time. The only offer I had was to exchange my newly purchased unit with a refurbished unit. Why would I bother trying to exchange my new unit for someone else’s failed when I could easily swap it from the vendor I bought it from?

What is up with members of this forum offering illogical advice (mostly hearsay) and then asking to give them kudos? Is this some type of ego boost for them? I’m sure folks in here with 10+ K posts are surely employees but even their advice is junk.

WD has been a true hassle and I regret buying from them.

1 Like

you got Kudos from me.  =)  I returned mine and got another one from a retail store. The 2nd one is behaving, but as soon as it acts up it is going to go back to the store.  I would spend more time with their customer “support” but I don’t have time to troubleshoot products for them.  When you release to retail you better make sure you have all the bugs worked out.

This probably costs WD more money than giving me a refurbished, so the logic here is, the more money it costs them, they quicker they will be to fix the problem.  if there is not financial incentive to fix a problem, corporate americe will not invest the $$ to fix the problem.  i am corporate America, I know how it works.  :wink: