WD Live Duo 4TB not found

So I’m having some issues connecting and setting up my Live Duo harddrive.

This is what I’ve done so far:

• Connected the device to my modem via an ethernet switch (I also have an Apple Airport connected to the switch)

• Connected the device to the provided power supply

My Wifi/Airport is working fine and the LED on the drive is green, but the My Book Live Duo Setup software can’t find the disk, so here I am, stuck.

I actually connected and set up the drive directly to another Mac yesterday via an Ethernet cable, and it worked fine. But now I’ve bought an Ethernet Hub/Switch to connect it to my network. Maybe this has something to do with the issue?

Update: After a while the LED turns blue.

Ok, based on what you’re describing, it’s not going to work.

The way I’m interpreting your description,Your network is the one on the left.

It needs to look like the one on the right.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Not sure I correctly understood your drawing. I’ll try and explain my set up a little better.

I have an internet/cable tv connection in my wall, this is connected to a Modem

imgres.jpg imgres-1.jpg

This modem only has 1 Ethernet port, so I’ve connected this Modem to a switch:

url.jpg

This Device has 5 Ethernet ports.

Port 1 I’ve connected to my Modem (above)

Port 2 is connected to my Airport Express

Port 3 is connected to my Live Duo drive.

I just find it so odd that my Internet is working, and the Drive’s LED is green, but I still can’t find the drive!

Can it be that my internet provider perhaps only can provide one IP adress?

Found similar issue here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28105-42-ethernet-switch-distribute-internet-signal

It can’t find your drive because, the way you have it connected, it’s on a totally different network.

You need to put it back the way it was before.

Then connect the switch to the LAN side of your Airport Express, and then plug everything into the switch.

1 Like

Thanks!

I connected the aiports’s Ethernet to the switch and connected the modem and the Drive to the switch.

Both are indicating a green LED (and my wifi is working), but the same problem occurs with the software, Live Duo not found…

No, no, no.

The Modem connects ONLY to the AirPort. 

The LAN side Air Port router connects to the switch.

The MBLD connects to the switch.

Your PC connects to the switch (or via the Airport WiFi).

1 Like

The problem is then that my Airport Express only has one ethernet connection, so by connecting the modem to the airport I have no way to connect the switch…

I just realized something.

You don’t have a router.

You really, really, really need to have a router.

Your network, the way it’s configured is TERRIBLY insecure.   

And the MBL Duo will not work correctly on your network without one.

1 Like

Yeah, you are right. I only have the AIrport express.

But I connectet an old Router I had laying around to the modem, and connected the Drive to that one. Like always, still I have internet and a green LD on the drive, but the software cant pick it up… I think I am getting really close here.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I’m quite new to this.

Problem solved. Thanks

I was running into the same problem and then just plugged my WD MyCloud 4TB directly into the Airport Express. There are two ethernet ports on the airport and that solved the problem for me.

I needed to connect my old router in the mix.

The issue I think was that the Airport Express does not have a lan connection, just one ethernet.

So what you need to do is to get a router in order to create a new network (you can still use the Airport network as well), connect a router to your modem. The router now acts as a Switch/Hub, so you connect your Aiport to the Router, and connect your drive to one of the LAN connections in the Router.

Let me know if you need any more help, I can post some pictures.

Or, I think you could just buy an Airport Extreme and get rid of the Express, to me it looks like it has LAN connections as well.