Thumbnails on MBLD 6TB are loading slow

Hello,

I have a problem related to My Book Live Duo 6TB.

The thumbnails of images (mostly tiff) are loading slow, when entering a folder on MBLD.

The connection between PC and MBLD is 1Gbps.

Is there any way to make thumbnails open on MBLD as fast as on USB 2.0 external hardrive ?

By the way RAID 1 is activated on MBLD.

Looking forward for suggestions,

Vytenis :manhappy:

In addition to that,

I have noticed in my Windows Networking  viewer (reached from task manager), that

when I come to My Book Live Duo any folder with thumbnails, network graph goes up

only about 30 seconds after. It should mean that somewhere is delay. Could this delay be

caused by MBLD processor, integrated 1Gbps card, or RAID 1 ?

PLEASE help !

Try reading the WebDAV FAQ:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-FAQ/td-p/463854

Thanks Tony for the reply !

But it’s not WebDAV tha’ts causing the problem (I’ve checked it).

Maybe I should connect MBLD directly to a pc, not via switch ?

Any other suggestions ?

In other words: is there a chance for My book live duo (1Gbps Ethernet) that tiff thumbnails

would load at least in the same speed like on WD Elements (480Mbps USB 2.0) ??

How it can be done ?

or should I downgrade the firmware ? sorry for the flood.

Building the thumbnail database requires accessing a bunch of small files sequentially.  

That’s about the highest “stress” a NAS can have to deal with – it’s not terribly surprising that it will be slower.

I just googled “windows slow thumbnails” and get LOTS of hits – and there’s just as many reasons and fixes.

Might be worth some research on that front…

Thanks Tony for the quick reply.

Well, I’m gonna google and for WIndows issues.

But I think the problem should be in NAS, because external

USB 2.0 HDD seems to perform faster.

Even though it is 480 Mbps and NAS is 1 Gbps of speed.

So theoretically NAS should be event faster than external HDD.

Well, yeah, and no.   :slight_smile:

NAS introduces a lot of network protocol “overhead” which is latency sensitive …  But generally it’s tolerable.

havent seen you mention it yet, but what kind of read speeds to you get when reading LARGE files from the NAS?

For example, I can get 600-700mbps on large reads.

Tony, the read speed from NAS is aproximately 400 Mbps (50 MBps)

when copying one movie size of 1 GB.

Well that’s certainly a reasonably good speed.

I just ran a test using Windows 7 inside a Virtualbox VM accessing a folder on my Duo.

My Pictures folder has 45 subfolders, containing a total of about 19,000 pics.

When I opened the share for the first time (first assuring that there were no “thumbs.db” files already created)

The FOLDER view took about 20 seconds to populate thumbnails into all 45 folders. – You know, the view is set to “Medium Icons” and the folders, once indexed, show thumbnail images inside the folder image itself.

Then I opened a large folder that has about 1900 pictures, all about 12 megapixel.

The folder would populate thumbnails at the rate of about 5 per second.

Is that about what you see?

Images in my MBLD are tiff format. In a folder there are about 250 images. sized 10 - 150 MB .

It aproximately takes 5 secons for image to load but it can be 10 or even more.

Also it’s interesting that when thumbnails are loading Network Utilization (can be watched from task manager) reaches only about 12 %.