Subtitles not loaded on Samsung Smart TV UE40D6000

Dear all,

Just bought My Book Live Duo version and faced the following problem:

Subtitles are not loaded for non of the video file types(tested at least with .avi and .mkv). Since this is one of the reasons for this purchase of my it is quite critical for me to have this sorted out, so any help would be more than appreciated!

Some additional information for my configuration:

TV: Samsung Smart TV UE40D6000

WD My Book Live Duo 4TB - updated to the latest firmware version

As a rule subtitles are named the same way as the video file and are working fine when streamed from USB stick or trough AllShare (fed from my PC) as well. Looks like I`m mistaking something with the NAS (DLNA server I guess)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Veselin

Seems to be an issue currently

do you have the latest firmware?

Just want to check and see if it also happens on previous firmwares since the latest firmware since to have no effect on this problem

If your subtitles are stored in external files in the following file format types .SRT, .SSA, .SUB and .AS, they should be supported.

Thank you for your input!

@Wizer, I don`t know how would with older firware since I updated to the latest one before start using the thing.

@WDTony, indeed I`m talking about external subtitles (.srt) with the same name as the video file stored in the same folder.Exactly the same set (video file + .srt) has been test trough USB, All Share (some kind of DLNA for PC) and from the NAS. Everything worked fine with the USB and the AllShare scenario, but no subtitles when playing from the NAS.

Please advise.

Being able to play subtitles through DLNA vs. a samba mount are two different things. Your player has to be able to support subtitles - and btw, subtitles over DLNA is a grey area in the specs. Each vendor has implemented it differently - if at all. Basic research on the interweb shows the lack of support in the industry for this.

Hi Toni,

My understanding is that playing video via AllShare is something similar (if not the same). As I said subtitles are displayed when playing from AllShare. If my understanding is correct, then the problem is laying in WD`s Media Server.

I would be grateful if someone shares successful attempt to play play video (with external subs) from MBL Duo on TV.

All share via USB? The thing people forget that that is completely different technology. The Samsung device likely mounts the USB stick via Samba then reads the content directory - so if it includes a Subtitle file, it knows it is there and plays it.

DLNA is different. The samsung device and our server have to talk to each other to exchange content. Since Subtitle specs are loosely defined - this is likely where the issue is. We will probably have to tailor our response to the Samsung device in the format it wants. Unfortunately, this is not how DLNA is supposed to work. It should be the same thing across multiple devices. We already had to make a change to our server to fix an issue with the way samsung looks for MKV files. The problem is that this subitle fix won’t be the same across multiple TVs, so when a user has a LG or Sony TV, it won’t be looking for the same as the Samsung…

Tony

AllShare is a DLNA server from Samsung. 

… but it is different than most “3rd party” DLNA services; Samsung doesn’t support anything except AllShare officially.

@TonyPh12345, it is exactly like this.

For the record just tried to play some video from my PC with other DLNA server (Serviio) and subtitles are there. This is another proof that the problem is entirely on WD side.

Hopefully, they`ll take this seriouse and provide resolution soon.

Actually the problem is not with WD. Just because Serviio supports it does not mean it is a WD issue. Serviio put in specific code in their server to support Samsung’s non-standard solution.

We have looked at the traces coming back from Samsung and see two things.

1. They are adding some proprietary extensions for subtitles to the DLNA SOAP messages during browsing.

The second part in the SOAP is related to some chapter information which is also some proprietary extension.

This information is generated by the “Samsung Video Engine” and it is automatically generated from the Samsung AllShare stack on PC.

This is all non-standard and definitely on Samsung. Now - we are going to look at this to see if we can’t support this in the future, but please don’t say this is a WD issue. As I mentioned, this is the second part of proprietary stuff that Samsung is doing over DLNA (the first part being their MKV support).

@WDTony, thanks a lot for the prompt clarification!

I agree that why how other DLNAs are working is something that shouldnt care. However, my observation as normal user is that all other solutions (DLNAs) that I tried(AllShare, Serviio, Mezzmo, etc) are supporting what I need  - external subtitles for Samsung Smart TV. Considering Samsungs share marked I believe it is worthy to adjust in order to be compatable with them

Just out of curiosity, do you have information about other brand`s product (TV parivulary) that is able to load external subtitles from WD MBL Duo.

Thahnk you in advance for yout support and understanding!

Hi

As far as I tried to get the subtitles working on my Samsung Smart TV, I gave up on the WD DLNA server. It’s neither working with mkv-mounted subtitles, nor is it working with seperate .srt subtitle files (same name as mkv).

So I loaded the newest twonky server (version 7.0.8) onto my MBLD with the following results:

• Samsung Smart TV recognizes the different mkv-mounted audio tracks (e.g. different languages)

• Samsung Smart TV doesn’t recognize mkv-mounted subtitles BUT

• it recognizes .srt subitles just fine.

So as for me, the twonky server does just that, what I expect of  a state-of-the-art media server.

Be aware that you might lose warranty on your product if you change the media server.

Guide how to load twonky on a MBLD: HERE

My Dearest WD Support,

What Mr. Foxone85 has said is correct, why do we have to switch DLNA server to have these options working ? I’m having issue not only with Subtitles on my Samsung TV but also with Audio, some of the movies files have default language audio which is other than English and I can’t change Audio on any file having multiple Audio.

For Once solve all the problems once and for all, we are not going to change our 1000s of $$ LED/LCD TV to have your DLNA supporting that. you need to make Standard which is commonly used and Samsung has Larger Share of Market than other Televisions.

so Stop talking **bleep** about Samsung issues and work on solution for your DLNA Standards.

Thanks you in Advance. for your Kind support!

I can’t see the subtitles while using DLNA with my PC

I can see the movie in MKV but it in Gibberish (not readable)

I made the movie and the STR file with the same name but it not working.

I also put them both in the same folder just to be on the safe side.

I have UN55D6200 any suggestions ?

The problem isn´t TV or Samsung, the same problem appear in LG, Sharp and Sony.

The real problem is the Twonky server. Wd use a Twonky 4.0, this is a DLNA server and this version not support subtitles.

I contac Twonky and they inform that the only way to work is upgrade to Twonky 6, the license of 4 is valid to V6.

The problem is WD, they don´t upgrade Twonky, I´m don´t  know why?

Diego.

PD: Sorry my bad Inglish.

PD2: WD staff: Can you check if your company plan udgrade the Twonky server?

From what I’ve read, WD uses Twonky 5.x on the MBLD which does not support MKV. At least that’s happening on the Samsung UE40D8090 I’ve tried. It shows MKV files but it does not play them so I have to upgrade to another DLNA server that is not Twonky 7.x cause I’m not gonna shell out another 20 bucks for a feature that should be supported out of the box. Gonna try to install MiniDLNA or Serviio, so if anyone has done this already, how about writing a little guide? Thx!