Problems with Duo

Hi

So I’ve copied thousands of pictures split across different directories and now trying to use it all.

A few facts.

1. I have made sure I have the most up to date duo firmware

2. I’m using a mac (or rather 3 macs) each with 10.9.1 maverick osx installed on

3. My duo is wired to a gigabit switch on the network and macs are running wireless (N)

So when using finder to mount the share a few things I’ve noticed

1. It’s really really slow - delays for no apparant reason and then bursts of speed followed by more lag

2. It mounts using afp when using finder

To solve the speed issue I can use Finder->Go->Connect to server and then prefix the IP with smb:// this works, but then I’ve noticed that quite a few names are limited to 9 characters (mangled names?) but not all of them! Also the directories are empty in those strange named ones.

Does anyone have any advice to either how to fix the afp speed issue or the names in smb - or how to fix both!

Name-mangling may very well be an issue if you’ve accessed via a combination of AFP and Samba.

Best practice is to access a share using ONE method forever. Never mix.

I don’t speak Mac, so I’m only going from anecdotal stories.

Well loading up the pictures onto the device from the 3 macs, I didn’t check how it was mounted, but was all done through finder.  So all afp in that case to load it up.

I only tried using smb to solve the speed issues. Only mounted it and saw the name problems.

Do any of those directories have names containing characters which are legal in AFP but illegal in SMB/CIFS? Things like / for example.

It’s strange as it’s all directories containing photos which are names like

2012-10-15

But some of them are ok and there are a bunch that look like this format

2ZHEBY~8

Ok, one mystery solved… some of the folders have a space on the end so are more than 9 characters hence smb mangling the names - just don’t know why it’s doing that and how to stop it.