Operating MyBook Live Duo with only one drive present?

Hi everyone,

I cannot find anything in the web on this specific topic, but I cannot imagine that I am the only one with this problem!

I recently purchased a used MBLD with only one Caviar green 3TB installed. For the moment this is sufficient for me and I currently have no need for redundant storage.

When I attached it to my network I could not access the internal 3TB drive. I tried to auto-update the WD firmware or change the RAID setting via the web UI, but it keeps telling me that the second drive has failed and neither update nor storage can be performed (not very smart, since an absent drive cannot fail… ;-). It’s like a twin engine airplane telling you in mid-air that the working engine has been shut down because the other one failed! What the heck???

Seriously, is there any way to get the MBLD working with only one drive present? Currently RAID is set to 1. Would it help to set it to 0 (which I cannot do via the web UI)? Can RAID be deactivated altogether? Would it help to  manually install the newest firmware?

btw, the attached 500GB USB HDD works just fine, but lacks performance (~ 12 MB/s). The MBLD is constantly busy with the installed 3TB Caviar Green, which is kind of ironic, because it’s working and I can’t access it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mborm wrote:

I recently purchased a used MBLD with only one Caviar green 3TB installed. For the moment this is sufficient for me and I currently have no need for redundant storage.

So you bought it used or something?   No Duos ship with only one drive.

It will only work with one drive in a failure mode.   It will not allow you to do anything until you repair the failure.