New MyBook Duo 4Tb astonishingly slow... I mean, really soul-numbingly slow

Hello there, I bought a 4Tb MyBook a week ago and have since managed not to strike it with any heavy objects, but have come close. I generally buy WD kit, like the pile of external drives I have of yours (which this raid array is supposed to be the solution to!) but unusually, I find myself massively disappointed, frustrated and behind in everything I had to do this week due to this box of sorrow I’ve purchased and the time I’ve taken trying to move into it.

Sorry for the overdramatic intro but I’ve been having a **bleep** of a ime with this.

The problem is, it’s achingly slow.

I’m using it with a brand new D-Link router and a top spec MacBook Pro (cabled to the router), using the supplied network cable to the array as it says to in the manual.

As would be expected of a new user, I’m trying to dump the contents of a bunch of other disks to it, before then reassigning those disks as backup media for the main array. Nearly a week later I have managed to transfer about 700Gb to it, running copies overnight and all day, at this rate it’ll take a month or more to do the lot. This can’t be right.

For example, before I started typing this message I had told it to delete about 20 folders, each with a single file in it. It just finished doing this when I reached the end of the last paragraph (I’m not a quick typist and had to register with to the forum first too !).

Right clicking on a folder on it brings up the busy cursor for 5… 10… seconds, then the context menu appears and disappears, so I drop down the toolbar menu, but I get a busy cursor on that too, everything just grinds o a halt when the array is involved in anything I’m doing.

Copying files from an external USB drive to the array via my laptop is very, very slow and means the USB drives are on my desk longer than I’d like them to be (as opposed to in the firesafe, away from coffee etc). I changed the plan to copying files to my laptop, then from laptop to the array, the files charge across to the laptop at the speeds I usually expect, then amble awkwardly from laptop to array taking many, many times longer than the first copy, it’s hard to qantify exactly how much slower as often I have to cancel the copy as I need to restart the laptop or switch to another LAN.

Just getting a list of folders within, say ‘Shared Photographs’ can take over 10 seconds, even when I have just opened the same folder in another finder, actually, now I try it, when I’ve just done same in the same finder too.

Trying to open the ‘Shared Music’ folder, where I have managed to copy a few hundred folders of files takes an age - though it seems to be more like the array is hanging rather than just slow, i.e. if I have 2 finder windows, one trying to open one shared fiolder, the other trying to open another shared folder. They both sit there for 10…20…30… seconds then both refresh simultaneously, this to me smacks of something worse than it just being slow.

I have moved the array away from the UPS it was sitting next to, it’s all on its own now - but no change.

I could cite many other examples but you get the idea… I have run quick and full diagnostics, restarted, put the latest firmware from a fortnight ago (02.31.08-067) on but it’s still the same - awful, unuseable even, certainly not fit for purpose as network storage.

The media I have managed to move comes across stuttery and freezy when I try to use it from a wireless-connected laptop, retrieving files from it is sluggish, though not nearly as slow as writing (its in the default 4Tb configuration BTW).

What can I do to try to resolve this ? - I can’t believe this is how it is supposed to be so there’s a problem of some kind but with everything else working a treat until this box was introduced a week ago, I can’t help feeling the culprit is on the far end of the black network cable.

I live on a remote tropical island to take it somewhere to post it to you is a 4-5 hour round trip and there;'s no postal service here anyway so you couldn’t send it back - I really need to sort this out in situ - please help !!!

Thanks,

Chris

Is it worth me reformatting it ?  - I’ve not burned any bridges with my data yet.

It’s even massively slow moving half a dozen folders between folders on the array, which presumably all happens internally, not through the router (pls correct me if my assumption is wrong there, ta).

Incidentally, it also hangs up OSX when it’s trying to do something, and OSX progress dialogues report odd things like ‘4 bytes of Zero bytes…’ - ooh, look, it’s 5 of Zero now - a good 10 seconds later… what is going on ???

I have de same problem, MyBook live duo (new) are very slow, slow, slow, slow.     After copied 3 TB on disk at normal-regular speed, now when I tryed to copy other files are desperately slow.   I have another WD extenal disk (2TB) that work ok in the same network.    Any Body can help me !!!    I have planning to buy another 2 external disk (8TB), but I prefer to wait to resolve this problem…  ¿ what happens with WD ?

There is something wrong with your network or the way you are connecting to the MBL Duo. At work I have one connected to our work network and have no issues connecting or transferring data. At home I also have no issues. I have an early 2011 Mac Book Pro.

So maybe some questions are in order.

How are you actually connecting to the MBL Duo? Through AFP or SMB? If through finder, then you might want to see if you can connect via SMB (choose the connect as option).

How is your network connected? Is your DLink router connected to a Modem? What type of network topology do you have? Are you wirelessly connecting to the MBL Duo? If so, you might want to connect the Duo directly to your MBP with an Ethernet cable - That will help eliminate the wireless component.

You might also want to check your routers configuration. You could set the MBL Duo up as a static IP and assign the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4) as your DNS servers. Some times service provider DNS servers don’t always resolve correctly.

1 Like

Are you saying that the MBLD connects via AFP by default? Can we use SMB protocol instead? Would it be faster to backup data via SMB protocol instead of AFP?

When you see the MBL Duo show up in finder under shared - it is connecting via AFP.

To connect to it via SMB, you select “Connect to Server” under the “Go” options in Finder (this is on Lion).

You then can connect to the Duo using something like this:

smb://MyBookLiveDuo

if you don’t have users setup, just select Guest.

Backups - well you can’t use time machine over SMB, so it would have to be a Mac flavored Backup program.

1 Like

WDTony, thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it very much.

I have now reconfigured my access to MLBD via Samba, patched my Mac OS, install all the other patches for my apps, upgrade JAVA and terminated my Time Machine backup and rebooted my MacBook Pro. Then, I restarted the Time Machine Backup and I got this now;

http://screencast.com/t/xUt6WE3E0 

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

Regards,

Moonshi

That looks pretty good to me… right?

So when you say “patched my OS” - what do you mean by that? Did you install the latest upgrade from Apple, or did you look at some of the AFP tweaks that are posted on these forums?

BTW, Time Machine still uses AFP - so the fact that you got Samba to work, doesn’t mean that AFP will work any faster. Just curious as to what you did to improve the speed like this.

What I did are as follow; 1) Run Mac OS X updates and install *all* the patches available from Apple including iTunes and JAVA upgrades; 2) Upgrade SugarSync and DropBox client s/ware; 3) Set my MBLD to DHCP with address reservation so it always gets a fixed IP address; 4) Enable uPnP on my router; 5) Change my DNS server address to Google’s Public DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) That’s all I did and finally, I rebooted my MacBook Pro which I have not rebooted for over 3-months and tadaaaa… Time Machine backup resolved! Regards, Moonshi

mmoonshi wrote:
What I did are as follow; 1) Run Mac OS X updates and install *all* the patches available from Apple including iTunes and JAVA upgrades; 2) Upgrade SugarSync and DropBox client s/ware; 3) Set my MBLD to DHCP with address reservation so it always gets a fixed IP address; 4) Enable uPnP on my router; 5) Change my DNS server address to Google’s Public DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) That’s all I did and finally, I rebooted my MacBook Pro which I have not rebooted for over 3-months and tadaaaa… Time Machine backup resolved! Regards, Moonshi

• *I forgot to add, I also enabled flow-control on my Ethernet controller. Configure: Manual Speed: 1000T Duplex: Full-duplex, flow control MTU: 1500 Next, I want to further enhance it by tweaking my MTU but I am not sure if the MBLD supports “jumbo frame” and finally, I would change the “net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=2”.

mmoonshi wrote:> I forgot to add, I also …Configure: Manual Speed: 1000T Duplex: Full-duplex, flow control MTU: 1500 Next, I want to further enhance it by tweaking my MTU but I am not sure if the MBLD supports “jumbo frame” and finally, I would change the “net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=2”.

… and you did all of that on your SWITCH, too, right?   If not, you’re “shooting yourself in the foot…”

Before I change my MTU on my MacBook Pro and MLBD, I shall do some research if my TP-Link Gigabit Wireless router & 5-port switch support “jumbo frames”. I shall only changed my Mac OS X “net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=2” once I understand the impact, risks and benefits :slight_smile: Thank you for your inputs Tony!

To add my 2 cents:

I have a 24" iMac, bought in early 2009, connected with a wired connection through a router to the MBL.

• the average transfer speed over AFP is sometimes less than 1Mbps

• over SMB it fluctuates between 5-8Mbps

• over FTP it’s usually around 11Mbps

Sadly the most convenient way to mount - by the FInder’s sidebar - connects it with AFP, which is dead slow.

The FTP speed is good, but as far as I see it doesn’t always trigger the forked-daapd’s library update :slight_smile:

Cheers, sebi

Sebi,

Something is wrong with your setup. Are you willing to “tune” your AFP client settings on your iMac to improve performance? I am getting an average of 30Mbps via AFP for Time Machine and 40Mbps+ via Samba.

My setup as follow:

• MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM 1067MHz DDR3 on Mac OS X 10.7.4
  • TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Wireless Gigabit router
  • Gigabit Ethernet connection from MacBook Pro to LAN

APF client on MacBook Pro tuned due to the “delay” caused by a little-known interaction between Nagle’s Algorithm and Delayed ACK. For a detailed description of the problem please read this article.

To fix it, do the following:

1. Open a terminal window o your Mac OS X and type:

su -

(to switch to user root

password: ******** (whatever your password is)

vi /etc/sysctl.conf

OR use whatever editor you feel most comfortable with to create or modify: /etc/sysctl.conf

1. Enter the following lines in the config file /etc/sysctl.conf;

net.tcp.delayed_ack=2
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=2097152
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=2097152
net.inet.tcp.maxseg_unacked=32

Now, reboot your iMac and test the data throughput and share your outcome. If this solves your challenge, please click “Problem Solved”. 

Regards,

Moonshi

2 Likes

where is this located?

config file /etc/sysctl.conf;

in libraries?

Hi Moonshi

Thanks fo ryour help, it definetely did the trick, the speed of transfer over AFP is normal now.

I can’t mark the topic as Problem solved, I didn’t open it, but a big thumbs up for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Fxguy, the file is in /etc and if it did not exist, create it like this; Step-1: type these commands ls -la /etc/sysctl.conf Step-2: If the file does not exist, create it like this; cd /etc touch sysctl.conf Step-4: Now, edit the file and insert the lines I mentioned; vi sysctl.conf Step-5: Now, copy the content and paste it with this command; i Copy and paste the text. Step-6: Save the file, exit the text editor and reboot; wq exit reboot

You are welcome sebestenyb! I am glad the tip solved your AFP issue :slight_smile:

Wow, I did this and am now seeing over 30mbs read and writes.

Thank you!

This should be documented somewhere, shouldn’t we be getting this speed straight out of the box with the unit?

Fxguy, the issue is with the AFP client on Mac OS X and not an issue with the MBLD, so I guess it’s not WD’s responsibility to document this in their User Manual as they might not be sure what’s the impact to other applications that uses AFP. I am glad this tip helps you to get better performance for your MBLD :slight_smile: