New MyBook Duo 4Tb astonishingly slow... I mean, really soul-numbingly slow

scottg wrote:

I posted a lengthy message to this forum yesterday about the severe and serious problems associated with my MBLD, stating that the MBLD was not fit for the purpose for which it was advertised or sold.

My post was removed by a moderator simply because I stated that I would be pursuing the issue further. PM me if you are interested in how I plan to pursue this further, as it seems any hint of “futher action” on this forum will simply see my message deleted again.

Here, however, are the technical details of the issue:

I have a MBLD 8tb set to a 4tb mirror. I started using this some time ago as an archival drive. I have recently attempted to archive more material to the drive, but it is unbelievably, unreasonably slow and defective.

For example, I tried to move 2.3GB of font files from the MBLD to my internal iMac HDD. This took some 21hours. Compared to another transfer I did between the internal iMac HDD and a firewire drive, I moved 30gb in a matter of minutes. When I have a direct ethernet connection to the MBLD the speed should be much greater than several kilobytes a minute.

Attached are screengrabs of the issue. This is definitely, 100% not the speeds indicated in advertising or promotion of this product. This is far far worse than ANY other drive on the market today. As such the WD MBLD is not fit for the purpose for which it was advertised.

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 12.01.10 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 12.32.00 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 12.45.01 pm.png

…and which screenshots are which?   Those data rates are completely normal.

If you’re comparing copying tens of thousands of SMALL files (which takes hours) to a few HUGE files (which takes minutes), that’s how ALL consumer-grade NASes WORK.    The file overhead to create a file, allocate the space for it, copy it over the network, commit it to disk, wait for IO to complete, etc is *much* worse when copying small files versus large ones.

Hope you find satisfaction somewhere else…

1 Like