New MyBook Duo 4Tb astonishingly slow... I mean, really soul-numbingly slow

Hi.  Count me in on the “what is going on with my File Transfer to MBLD” bandwagon.

I had another external drive start to fail; unfortunately it had my photo library on it; fortunately I had it backed (Time Machine, and Crashplan).  My first attempt to recover that “file” was to fix the “bad” disk and recover the files from it to my main OS X disk - but I needed to clear space on the OS disk and therefore move a fairly sizeable chunk of folders/files to the MBLD.

Regardless, during the intervening days I’ve been reading this thread (mostly) and trying various things out as my transfers of files to the MBLD disk were sooo slooow.  Like 20kB/s (or worse).  I.E. a few GB worth of folder/files taking hours.

But then I went looking into TimeMachine (which is stored on a different partition on the MBLD), found my photo library and restored it - all 130GB - in about 1.5 Hours - which is more like 20-25MB/s.

So, that’s what I don’t get.  Astonishingly slow transfers while copying/moving folder/files, and pretty good speed restoring an iphoto library file (that is really composed of a whole lot of individual folders/files, right?).

So, two different processes… two different partitions on the MBLD.  Can anyone shed some light on that?