New MyBook Duo 4Tb astonishingly slow... I mean, really soul-numbingly slow

Hi there friends

My MBLD 4T was incredibly slow for the first year…it all changed just a few weeks ago.

I thought I’d share my experience.

This has been a very trying time and I know I’m not alone.   Hours and hours spent transfering data, trying to logon to the dashboard, get timemachine to work at all, running endless diagnostics tests, searching the forum and messing around with terminal.

My transfer speeds never got above 2MB/s

One day I decided to plug the MBLD directly to my MBP ethernet port (I had done this before BTW).  

Things didn’t seem to improve.

I opened Network Utility and checked it was actually respondning to ping…it did!

In the dashboard, I ran the short diagnostic test.

I rebootedthe MBLD.

I re-ran the test.

I ran the long test.

Everything seemingly took forever and I abandoned the long test.

I tried to check for firmware updates, but it claimed I wasn’t connected to the internet.

I turned on wireless and checked I was able to load a web page…I could.

I ran the “check for update” and still no joy.

I knew the software was up-to-date, it’s just that dashboard couldn’t confirm it.

I re-started the Mac and made sure I was online.

I loaded the dashboard and this time it recognised I was online and confirmed the firmware was the current version, still connected directly to the MBLD.

Then, I decided to save a report.   This was the incisive moment.

For some reason, from this moment everything changed.  

I didn’t know this at the time, but eventually I gave up and plugged everything back as it was…via my Netgear gigabit switch.

Once online, wired via ethernet and switch, the dashboard worked much quicker. 

Plus I got much higher transfer speeds, up to 18MB/s.

Much more like it…not great but certainly better.

I dunno whether this will help anyone, but there was something I did with this combination of events that enabled the drive to start working considerably better for the first time.

PLUS, I was able to run timemachine (one of the reasons I bought the device) on my other networked computer, a Mac mini.

BTW I fiddled about in terminal with sudo re-writes etc…and just got into more trouble.   This might work for some computer/software setups but it didnt for mine…ever!

Thanks to all those who posted similar issues, providing endless reading and hope, but finally it works.

Do let me know if any of this has helped.

Sorry not to have one specific thing that made it work, but I do think the report