Linux Kernel upgrade to 3.x

Hi,

Has anyone here managed to compile a Linux kernel 3.x on the MBLD and boot it?

I have USB issues with a device that is not properly recognized and want (resp need) to try a newer kernel, hoping that this will fix the issue.

Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the unit.

I havent hear of anyone with that upgrade.

Well, it’s a special piece of hardware that was introduced not until recently. I am not sure whether it’s the kernel that prevents the device from working or anything else… but my guess is that the USB subsystem is better in newer kernels and thus it is more likely to work with a kernel upgrade. I can confirm at least that it works on Debian wheezy with Linux 3.2 and an x86 virtual machine.

Is the USB port hooked up in the BIOS boot sequence as the first boot device?

If so, I could create a bootable USB stick with the latest firmware image, plug that in and boot the MBLD from there. I could then compile the kernel, put it on the USB drive in place (/boot/vmlinux or so) and boot into the new kernel from there. If it works, I can copy the new kernel to the MBLD drive. If not, I leave everything as it is, unplug the USB stick and regard this as a nice experiment.

Ok, linux kernel 3.12.6 compiles fine on the MBLD. And since I know how to debrick the device in case it doesn’t come up after the kernel upgrade (thanks to the excellent guide here in this forum), I could give it a try.

It would be easiest to start from an existing configuration, which is usually found in /boot/. But there is none… Does anybody know where the configuration file for the existing kernel 2.6.11-svn can be found?