How to use the DLNA media server?

I’ve tried several Android apps which are capable of connecting to DLNA servers but they never connect and always get server connection errors.

Do I need to forward a port? DLNA server is turned on too.

If it’s any consolation, after more than a week with my MBLD I’m still have DLNA issues, too. I’ve just about fixed everything else: drive is discovered and connects as a UnPNP server (I’m on a Mac system), I can use the WD2Go apps on my iPhone and iPad to view stored views, and the twin discs seem to have nearly completed RAID 1 mirroring and thumbnail indexing.

But … I CANNOT get iTunes to find the server or deliver media files. I can see and play the files using the GoodPlayer app, but not with iTunes (and, yes, I have iTunes enabled). And GoodPlayer, tho fine for videos, is not nearly as good or efficient for muisc as iTunes.

Still waiting to see if these apparently extremely common DLNA issues ever get addressed …

M

iTunes has nothng to do with DLNA.  iTunes server uses DAAP, not DLNA protocol, and only is for use on iTunes Mac/PC client software.

Everything else you said indicates that DLNA is working fine.

You are correct, and I’m guilty of using DLNA and iTunes streaming (DAAP) interchangably, when of course they are not.

Unfortunately, this does not resolve the issue that I cannot see iTunes media–using the iTunes app on my iPad–that’s stored on the MBLD. I have iTunes streaming enabled, the share is set for media sharing, but no luck. If I simply open the Shared Music folder, the music files are there. I can also play them using GoodPlayer–though that is a much more labor-intensive process involving selecting individual files, etc. I was also hoping to be able to play my iTunes media through my AppleTV3, but that device can’t find the MBLD files either.

Mashenko wrote:

Unfortunately, this does not resolve the issue that I cannot see iTunes media–using the iTunes app on my iPad.

That’s not an “issue,” so to speak, or a bug.

iTunes server is not supposed to stream directly to your devices.

As I said before, It will ONLY stream to iTunes CLIENT software running on a PC or Mac – not directly to the devices.

I think there were announcement of a future firmware update addresing the DLNA issues, yet I am waiting still for it. everynow and then I have to reboot the DUO just to get the DLNA server back. I have no idea about Itunes as that was one of the first things I disabled (not an Apple fan)