How can i recover data from my book live duo

Hi, I have been using my WD my book live duo(4 TB) since more than a years. But recently due to same problem the ethernet port of my device has stopped working and i am not able to access my data, i have tried reseting the device but there is no success. Since i need to get the data, i have tried removing the hard drive and connecting it to the sata port of the PC running ubuntu 11.10, i have tried mounting the drive but i am not able to do so also i am very new to ubuntu, so i request if any one can help me to recover my data.

sameersewa05 wrote:

i have tried mounting the drive but i am not able to do so also i am very new to ubuntu, so i request if any one can help me to recover my data.

What kind of error are you getting when you try to mount the drive?

Sorry for the delay. I have tried mounting the drive with the following command but not been able to do so

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb4 /media/external/

This is the error that i am getting. Please suggest me what to do

unknown filesystem type 'linux_raid_member

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb4

You may need to force mount.   And it is ext4, not ext2, I think.

mount /dev/sdb4 /media/external -o force

If that does not work, you may need to start RAID on your system and add the drive to RAID using mdadm

Why don’t you just install the hard drive into a windows machine and get Diskinternals Linux reader software ( http://www.diskinternals.com/))

This is read only software but will display all of your files and folders. Just right click on the folders and select “Save” and your files are saved elsewhere.

You just need to make sure that you have sufficient storage space on another drive to save all of your data.

I rescued 2TB of info this way when my WD My Book world edition (blue lights) failed.