[GUIDE] Debrick a MyBookLive DUO

I got the MBLD to boot - did a factory restore - and am in the process of resetting storage to raid 1 from raid 0.  My question revolves around the swap file:

1. What is it

2. Since the drive is (or will be when it is done running) set up for raid 1 do I need to manually create the swap file or was it done automatically.  I used guide 2

3. Assuming that I need to manually recreate the swap file, can I get some info on the format of the SSH command.  I need to log into 192.168.1.13

Almost there

Thanks

Using Cygwin to run SSH I get the following error message:

ssh: connect to host mybookliveduo port 22: Connection refused

I get the same error when trying to run SSH from the rescue CD.  

Any ideas? 

sndflea wrote:

Using Cygwin to run SSH I get the following error message:

ssh: connect to host mybookliveduo port 22: Connection refused

I get the same error when trying to run SSH from the rescue CD.  

Any ideas? 

Did you re-enable SSH after the restore?

well - I did several Google searches and read a lot since my last post.  I am a noobie on this and did not realize that SSH had to be enabled on the MBLD.  The following thread got me moving in the right direction:

http://tech.avivo.si/2012/10/enabling-ssh-and-sftp-on-western-digital-my-book-live-duo/

note that the ‘0’ in welc0me is a zero and not a capital O.  Once I logged in to the MBLD through my browser, I then ran another browser window and entered the xxx.xxx.x.xx/UI/ssh address which brought up the window to enable SSH. I enabled SSH, then ran Putty and logged in using the username “root” and pw “welc0me”.  This got me into the MBLD. Then followed the directions in guide 2 to create the swap file.  

Again, thanks everyone for the help.  

Hello guys,

I have a WD MyBookLive Duo 4TB and here is my issues.

Earlier today I was installing mutt on my MBLD using apt-get in ssh, and during the process I lost electricity at my home. When my power came back on the MBLD shows I solid green light on the front but is no where to be seen on my network any longer. I tried doing the reset (holding reset for 10 secs when unit is powered on) , but it made no difference. I still cannot get it to show on my network (even using my routers GUI it is not listed under Attached Devices any longer).

I did not backup my MBLD and was using all 4tb for data (roughly 2.5 used) so I had no Raid configuration. My MBLD has been one roughly 3 hours now with a solid green light but still not located on the network. I recall seeing something about the led on the back by the ethernet should be amber colored but both mine are green. Anyways, would following guide 1 on this be my best bet to get my MBLD working again and retaining my data?  Also is it safe to use the firmware released in January 2015 or should I use the one linked in the first post?

Thanks guys for any help,

After running the command 

./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sd

Should I get any kind of comfirmation? I received a reply about an unknown argument and that was it.

have you correctly entered the drive letter.  You show ‘sd’ in your post.  Shouldn’t it be something like ‘sdfc’ or ‘sdfa’ - whatever was listed in gpared?  

@sndflea Sorry that was just a typo on my part.

I followed the guide here http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-607715/debricking-script-for-my-book-live-duo
which uses the same script from here.

Now when I reassemble my MBLD will not power on at all (No LED, No Hard Drive noise etc. )

I am curious what should my next step be?

Also I want to back up my data before doing anything else and I have a USB to SATA dock but for the Duo would I need a dual dock or just use drive A. I had a spanning disk with a few shares created on it.

I am far from an expert on any of this but did get great help from this forum.  As respects the MBLD, if it will not even power on I would suspect either a problem with the case or the power supply.  Do you have another power supply you can try.

As respects the data, I believe Guide 1 - post # 1 of this thread, provides info on how to pull the data off of the drive.  I followed guide 2 as I was merely installing 2 new drives.

Hi 

I follow your guide 1 and  I ran problem about run script (.debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda)  it’s return “zsh: exec format error: ./debrick.sh”, Please help me for fix

the error. I’m a new bie in Linux    

WD_Newbie2015 wrote:

Hi 

I follow your guide 1 and  I ran problem about run script (.debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sda)  it’s return “zsh: exec format error: ./debrick.sh”, Please help me for fix

I ran into a similar problem when I ran the script.  You need to be be careful on where you put spaces in the script.  In my case the USB drive containing the debrick script was not being properly mounted.  Check the message thread - a couple of pages back.  

my notes on the script are as follows:

mkdir /mnt/usb

mount**[space]-t[space]vfat[space]**/dev/sdb1[space]/mnt/usb

Note Above: put space before and after ‘-t’, before and after after ‘vfat’ and after ‘sdb1’  

cd /mnt/usb

mdadm -S /dev/md0

note below – will get an error message after it runs

mdadm -S /dev/md2

mdadm -S /dev/md3

./debrick.sh**[space]rootfs.img[space]**/dev/ sda

Note above: space after ‘.sh’ and after ‘.img’

sndflea wrote:

WD_Newbie2015 wrote:

Hi 

I ran into a similar problem when I ran the script.  You need to be be careful on where you put spaces in the script.  In my case the USB drive containing the debrick script was not being properly mounted.  Check the message thread - a couple of pages back.  

my notes on the script are as follows:

mkdir /mnt/usb

mount**[space]-t[space]vfat[space]**/dev/sdb1[space]/mnt/usb

Note Above: put space before and after ‘-t’, before and after after ‘vfat’ and after ‘sdb1’  

cd /mnt/usb

mdadm -S /dev/md0

note below – will get an error message after it runs

mdadm -S /dev/md2

mdadm -S /dev/md3

./debrick.sh**[space]rootfs.img[space]**/dev/ sda

Note above: space after ‘.sh’ and after ‘.img’

It’s been a while since I debricked my drive so I’ve forgotten a couple of things.   Seems like I also ran into a format error.  Try running the script a second time - seems like I had to run it twice to get it to properly format the drive.  I don’t recall if I exited and rebooted linux and ran the script a second time or if i ran it twice in succession.  

is there anyone on here in the Atlanta, GA area that would be willing to meet up and assist me with performing the guide steps? I have attempted them myself and am getting results/prompts that either do not match up and/or are not mentioned anywhere in all the discussions.

Please PM me if you are interested in helping me out.

Thanks

anyone know how to get a message to nfodiz?!?!?!

i’ve sent him a couple PMs over the last couple weeks and he’s not read them even though he’s been active on here.

i’m getting desparate with this process.

i have Drive A attached to an Unbuntu 14 laptop with a eSata to Sata cable

Gparted is see the Ext3 partitions and the larger partition

i run Terminal and do a sudo -i

then i did the following commands

mkdir /mnt/usb

***ever since my first time doing this i now get a directory already exists***

mount -t vfat /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb

cd /mnt/usb

mdadm -S /dev/md0

****and this is where my problem begins****

after entering the md0 command i get “No Such file or directory”

even if i continue with the instructions i get the same response for md2 and md3

the when i do this command…

./debrick.sh rootfs.img /dev/sdb

i get this

-bash: ./debrick.sh: Permission denied

i have no clue what i’m doing wrong.

someone please help since i can’t get nfodiz to respond to my PMs!!!

I never had a proble with system-rescue-cd…

I use this debrick method more than 10 times!

Download the files again and try System-Rescue-CD, it should to work!

if i get what your saying. you’re suggesting that using the System Rescue CD may have better results than do this procedure directly from a Linux (Ubuntu) desktop?

not arguing against that suggest in the least, but i do find it curious as to why it would behave differently.

i’ll try that this evening, and see if it works.

thanks

In teory wee just need to use a linux distro to do the job right?

But i try on ubuntu also, install the related programs that wee need to use on the debrick process

but for same how that i dont know why i dont get it to work. 

As i say before, i use S.C. CD and it may work.

My live book duo was displaying a constant yellow light which I learned indicated the internal OS was not loading.  I could not see it on the network; it was basically a brick!  I followed the instructions for guide 1 in this post and the process worked perfectly.   I was able to recover all the data after recreating the users and the drive works as designed.  Thank you for sharing this fix.

A big THANK YOU to those that developed this fix.  I called WD Tech support two days ago with a solid yellow light and all they could tell me was try a reboot of the unit and also a reset.  If that did not fix the problem to unit was toast…Ran the first guide and it corrected the issue promptly.  Used this unit to store all of my photos and videos.  I do have a backup system as well but it was not updated to the latest so I was able to salvage my most recent shots.  Again, THANKS!

Also forgot to post the issues I had with Guida 1.  When trying to enter the command “mdadm -s /dev/md0,2 or 3” i got an error indicating it could not be the first command.  After looking through the help file I determined the correct command should be “mdadm --manage --stop /dev/md0, 2 or 3”.  After ruiing those three commands I could then enter the final command to debrick the unit.