Do I need a WD TV Live player to play My Book Live Duo content on TV?

Hi,

I’m in the market to centralise all my media on home storage to play back via TV, laptop and smartphone on the go.

I was going to buy a My Book Live Duo for the wifi and remote accessibility and RAID 1 facility. Would I need a WD TV Live player to play all content on a My Book Live Duo via my TV, or should I just opt for a WD TV Live player?

Any help for this newby would be great.

Thanks

VHUser wrote:

I was going to buy a My Book Live Duo for the wifi

First, make sure you understand:   The Duo is *not* a WiFi device.

Would I need a WD TV Live player… or should I just opt for a WD TV Live player?

Uh, what?  

If you have a smart TV, a media player, blue-ray player, ps3, etc, then all you need is the MBLD. If you have an older TV only and none of the other equipment, then the WDTV would be a better option. Also, the MBLD is not WiFi enabled, however, if you have WiFi on your home network, you will be able to access the MBLD over the network. Hope this helps, if not, there is a lot of information in this forum to assist with your decision making.

Thanks for the help - I’ll scan the rest of the forum too.

Is it possible to enable the MBLD with WiFi through a WiFi dongle / adaptor rather than connecting to network with cable (trying to avoid more cables in the house)?

Also, with only laptop, smart TV and smart phones, the idea is to centralise all data / movies / music on MBLD and then to access MBLD via WiFi to play media content on laptop / smart TV / smart phone.

VHUser wrote:

Is it possible to enable the MBLD with WiFi through a WiFi dongle / adaptor

No, dongles and adapters aren’t supported.

You have the option of using a WiFi Range Extender or something that connects to the ETHERNET port, but honestly, don’t even think about it.  Performance will be TERRIBLE.

A cable is only 3-4 feet long.  Why would that be a concern?

That’s a pity. Ideal location for MBLD is on other side of room to where network entry point / WiFi router is located

What makes it “ideal”?

What is it that makes it less than ideal to install it next to your router?

Yes, router is located in awkward but discreet spot. Rest of electronics located on other side of room. Smart tv picks up WiFi signal with dongle. Was hoping MBLD could do the same.