Device powered off but disks still spinning

I’ve had this for about a week and have started moving my files to it.

I was transferring music from another disk via usb share and after some time, I came back to a message stating communcation error (windows message as if media was unplugged) and there was no LED on the Live Duo but the disks were still spinning. Had to pull power and plug back in.  And i’m set up in RAID1.

No error messages to report either… at least I don’t think.

-wm

looking for experience with this situation or advice on how to test for / reproduce issue to avoid it again… why did it happen, anything.

-wm

Never had that happen with my Duo… not saying no one else has. Perhaps the firmware glitched, or you had a power surge or something.

I would not worry about it unless it happens again.

Good thing you are in RAID-1. I don’t know why someone would get one of these and not do it.

I am actually a little concerned because this is sort of a system failure that, well, could have other consequences. I would like to rely on it as a shared primary disk where, in a small network scenario, I (my wife and I) can work on personal data while she has her computer and I my own.

I do see this as a “firmware” glitch unless someone has something other to report regarding heat or power reliability. On subject of incoming power - it’s rock solid being on a APC 1000VA RM 2U supply.

If I’m “gentle” with it, I don’t expect this again, as it did happen while it was rebuilding 150 gigs of data when I began uploading the next 130 gigs. It appears to have gotten 20 gigs in before it crashed.

I’m still interested in any ideas or experience regarding this sort of scenario.

Thanks.

wm

It would be nice if someone else has an idea.

The reason I think it could have been a firmware “glitch” is because the unit is just a low power computer running a stripped down version of Linux. Like any OS, it can have un-repeatable errors from time to time. 

For an update, one of the disks died. Good thing its in RAID 1.

I don’t know if the other issue was related but it could be likely.

I have not been using this disk unit that much so it has sat dormant 90% of the time. It spins up a couple times a day when a computer is started.

As you might expect, I’m disappointed with the product.