Cannot reach dashboard + software installation problem

Hi there,

I just got my device yesterday and I am not very impressed so far. I had the classic “Runtime error” problem, and at least partially fixed it with the 500MB download and copying of the software onto the Mybook.

So now I have the drive mapped under Windows XP and I have WD Quick View running.

What does not work, however, are two things:

1. When I try to install WD Smart Ware by executing “WD SmartWare Setup (x64).msi” from the Mybook directly, I get an error message saying: “The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753.”

2. When I try to connect to the dashboard using the IP address that was assigned to the Mybook, IE gives me the message that “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”. Connecting to my router’s web interface, for example, however, works fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi, check if  this smartware installation works and see if you can access the dashboard using  WD link.

Thanks for the hints. I downloaded WD link – I can find the MyBook, but when I click “Configure”, it simply starts up my browser with the MyBook IP address. This fails, as it has failed before.

Regarding the updated software, I am downloading it now. What exactly di you suggest I try doing with it? Copy over to the MyBook duo again and run it from there?

Thanks!

Actually the software you pointed me to is the exact release I downloaded before and which did not work :frowning:

Try to connect the MBL directly to the computer and chk if the problem continues.

Hi,

I tried to directly connect computer and MBL, and the problem persists. What happens is the following:

• Windows tells me that I have “Limited or no connectivity” on my LAN connection

• But WD Quick View finds the MBL and displays its status

• Apparently it was assigned the IP 169.254.5.170 (instead of 168.192.0.x that it always gets on the WLAN)

• But I still cannot access the dashboard via the browser

I am getting a little desparate here…

Thanks!

Okay…this is crazy. I went on a three-week business trip and borrowed another computer to check if something was wrong with my regular computer’s configuration. All of a sudden, I can access the UI.

So essentially: Done nothing, problem fixed. This is strange…

Check your computer to make sure that you have the latest version of IE and Windows Updates.

Actually my system was fully updated and I also tried it using the latest version of Firefox. Maybe it was the additional reboot of my MBL that finally made it work…