Any chance of datarecovery?

Hi all,

my MBLD is about one year old, since yesterday it is stuck in the yellow solid light mode. I can´t access it anymore. Pushing the reset button does not work either. I called WD Support and they said I´ve to send it in to get it replaced.

I configured the MBLD as RAID1.

Is there any chance of recovery my data from the MBLD?

I tried Linux Reader with the A-Drive, it shows some internal files, but not mine. I´m not sure in which folder they should be stored. I found my share-names in var/local/nas_file_tally → not sure if this is correct. There are just some document_size, music_size and so on files in there.

R-Linux did a scan, but it did not find any other files than Linux Reader.

My Questions:

• Do I need to attach both drives to the computer for datarecovery (RAID1)? At the moment I one tried the A-Drive.

• Where are the user files stored, which location on the HDD?

• What is the best way for recovery? Currently I´m trying this on windows 7 x64. Is it more easy to boot a linux os? Which one?

• I used a SATA-Dock to USB for now, is it better to attach the drive(s) directly to the computer?

Thanks a lot for you help

schesche

Hello schesche123, welcome to the WD Community. If you had a RAID 1 configuration, if one of the internal drives fails, you should still be able to access your files directly from the My Book Live Duo second disk. You only need to connect the internal hard drive directly to the PC in cases were the My Book case fails. 

1 Like

The RAID1 drive won’t mount in most readers because the partition type isn’t known.

There’s examples here, though, of how to do it from Ubuntu Linux (which you can run on your PC using a “Live” boot system.)

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-ShareSpace/HOWTO-Recover-files-from-a-RAID-1-mirrored-drive-when-the/td-p/138448

This is from the old Sharespace platform, but I’d think it should work with the Duo’s RAID volume, too…

1 Like

Thanks, for the replies.

R-Linux worked like a charm. I found all the folder/shares and I was able to restore them. I first tried the wrong partition, since Linux Reader could not access the raid-array. But R-Linux could. I took a while to read all the data (half an hour for one GB) but after that the restore went smooth.

I used the SATA to USB Converter and the A-Drive of the MBLD. I´m now waiting for the replacement send by WD. After that I´ll set up the new NAS and use some backup method. I never expected the MyBook Hardware to fail. :frowning:

Thanks a lot.

schesche