After Firmware Update - WD Live Duo permanently reboots

Hi,

I updated the firmware two days ago. Since the successful update my WD Live Duo has rebooted itself at least 8 times. It is also unusually hot which may cause the rebooting - just a guess though.

Since 2hrs ago I am no longer able to connect to the drive, neither via SMB protocol (I use MAC), nor via the Safari Bonjour, nor via the WD application for MAC. That said, the drive is showing-up in Finder, Safari and the WD Application.

Currently the LED is either solid green or blinking green - although “nobody” accesses the drive.

HELP - All my itunes, personal pictures and videos are stored on the device and I cannot risk losing the data at all.

Thanks for support,

Marius

Hello,

Have you tried performing a hard reset on the unit?

If not, please see page 128 of the user manual for instructions.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705065.pdf

Press and hold down the reset button for four seconds. The device reboots (this may
take up to three minutes).

Thanks for the advise… I haven’t done the hard reset since it says I am losing my data. And that’s a no-go!

ok, quick update after reading page 128 again. it says no data is going to be lost. will try it later and reconfirm result.

in the meanwhile, is there any other, similar issue related to the latest firmware update?

Update

#1 Disconnected my Live Duo for a full day to completely cool down. Restarted it which took around 5mins. Since then the LED is continuously flashing green while no one is accessing the drive.

#2 Pushing the reset button for 4+ seconds does not lead to reboot and resetting the passwords. It seems that the device is working and does not care about me pushing the button.

#3 I was again able to connect to the drive via SMB, checked my photo library. All data is still there. However, connecting with SMB or via bonjour/Safari is veeeeeeery slow.

#4 In the dashboard I started the quick diagnostic tool. This typically takes no longer than 2 minutes. After 20mins it stopped with an error message about the B drive. I checked the Storage tab and the B drive is ‘good’ like the A drive and does not show any failures.

I ordered a new drive just in case. It is always good to have a spare drive at home.

Has anyone an idea what the issue(s) could be? Thanks!

Addition:

my Live Duo rebooted 20 (!!!) times in the last 8 hours. I disconnected it this morning. Please, advice!!