Release non 512-byte sector emulated firmware for WD?EARS

I’m with the other ZFSers.  I was thinking I would build a low power NAS with those drives and OpenSolaris (or maybe use in my ReadyNAS NV+).  Lucky I did some research before I went out and got four to eight drives.

I say some WD20EARS on sale and so I went WD to see if the issues have been resolved.  I guess not.  I would guess other drive makers are going to make 4K drives that are green so I guess it is time to look around.  I’m kind of a WD man, but if they don’t have it, I can’t buy it.

It’s hard to find any information about the firmware on the drive.  For example, ReadyNAS says drive of a specific model or firmware will work.  However, WD doesn’t have anything saying (that I found yet) when the new firmware rolled out so if you buy a drive from an online store you can guess if you get a new firmware drive or not.  I couldn’t even find how to flash the drive.  I thought the green drives were having problems, if that is true, why is it so hard to find the information.  If I knew it was easy to update the firmware, I would buy the drive knowing if it came with bad firmware I could fix it easy.

Well, I guess it’s time to look around for drive to use with OpenSolaris.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your pain, you are saving others from the same heartache.