Reactive Clear Covers

On every hard drive in the world today there is always a Metal cover obscuring the internal workings of a hard drive.

How about a Clear Lexan or Heavy grade plexiglas cover On top and Place smaller more visible labelling on the cover with a see thru labelling system.

Make it available in several UV Light reactive colors giving the User the ability to see How a drive really works while giving the End users some splashes of colors This would in a few ways allow education into the technology of How a hard drive works and give the power Gamers Something to show off other then a Liquid cooling system.

this Can be a Limited Edition Hard drive depending on the applications for use.

the Velociraptor Drive was a start in the right direction But now is a time where the end User should have a say in the colors and the beauty of WD Design and Reliability.

the Plastic Covering can be sealed like the Metal plain tops in Use today I hope WD does take this into consideration and Puts this Design into  Production Just like the MY BOOK This would be a very popular design and would increase Sales.

7 Likes

If you mean “see the inside workings of the drive” (eg. platters, heads, moving parts, etc), you may be in for a shock as to how precise and precious the inside mechanisms are. The rigidity of the drive case and particulars of it’s construction are built for a reason.

If you mean colourful boxes to contain the drive in, then that sounds cool! (some LED undercarriage lighting, pimp-my-ride style, could work?).

See The Engineer Guy - http://www.engineerguy.com/videos/video-harddrive.htm and his info on the humble hard-drive for some more details.

They used to make clear top SATA-1 (1.5Gbps) 10K 150GB Raptors

Just search for: clear top Raptor X

the following is from the description on the newegg site:
__

Crystalline polycarbonate lens
The WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD features a large, crystal-clear crystalline polycarbonate lens to reveal the inner workings and the drive in action. A world’s first, the lens provides structural integrity, electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, durability and chemical neutrality necessary for the highest performance and reliability
__

so see through can be done, just don’t know about fancy features that change colour under specific lighting arrangements

nice idea, but i think that plexiglass (or similar) is more expencive then small, thin sheet of alumynum

I would prefer to keep my HDD cost as low as possible, I am NEVER going to look at my HDDs internals.