Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

First of all I think you should let people know on the hard drive packaging that they can download the free Acronis software for cloning their old hard drive so they don’t waste money on Norton Ghost. Websites that sell your hard drives such as Tigerdirect and Newegg should mention the free Acronis software on their hard drive product page. I’m more likely to buy a new hard drive if I know I can get the cloning software for free. Also I encountered the following issue after cloning my old 320GB drive and installing the new 750GB hard drive. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my laptop and my laptop has an Intel chipset. After installing the new hard drive Windows Update, Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Messenger stopped working. After wasting a lot of time trying to figure this issue out, I found a post on the internet that mentioned Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology Driver. I went to Intel’s website and downloaded iata_enu.exe file. After installing this file everything worked again. You should include a piece of paper with your hard drives that explains this issue and how to resolve it. You should also mention this issue and the solution on your website.

2 Likes

Ditto on the consumer notices about controller driver support for 4k sector drives.

WD should also note that Vista users may need to Install Hotfix KB2553708 on old drive image PRIOR to cloning.

on the label on my hardrive it has the link to get the free clone software

yes the Intel RST software can be a real pain – also needs to be up to date on your system if you wish to use 3 or 4TB drives under Windows 7.

best get the latest version direct from Intel, and lot of MB manufacturers don’t keep their websites downloads up to date.