Suggestion to WD about website

At the moment, I see nothing in the “Legacy” section or on the Gen1 Support page(s) that links to the WDTV HD section of the community.

Even the Gen2 “Visit the WDTV HD Online Community” button takes you to http://www.wdtvlive.com/ which is the Community portal for the WDTV Live and Live Plus, not the WDTV HD.

Perhaps if the button actually led to the WDTV HD section and not the WDTV Live section (and if there were also buttons for the Gen1 pages), there wouldn’t be quite as many WDTV HD posts in the WDTV Live section.  Even I originally made this mistake and posted in the wrong area, because it was not clear that that wasn’t the section for WDTV HD.

It would also help with solutions, since very few people will find WDTV HD solutions in the WDTV Live section even if they do search around before posting.

How hard can adding a couple of correct hyperlinks be?

Sounds like a good idea maybe you should try posting in the idea section.

RoofingGuy wrote:

At the moment, I see nothing in the “Legacy” section or on the Gen1 Support page(s) that links to the WDTV HD section of the community.

Even the Gen2 “Visit the WDTV HD Online Community” button takes you to http://www.wdtvlive.com/ which is the Community portal for the WDTV Live and Live Plus, not the WDTV HD.

Perhaps if the button actually led to the WDTV HD section and not the WDTV Live section (and if there were also buttons for the Gen1 pages), there wouldn’t be quite as many WDTV HD posts in the WDTV Live section.  Even I originally made this mistake and posted in the wrong area, because it was not clear that that wasn’t the section for WDTV HD.

It would also help with solutions, since very few people will find WDTV HD solutions in the WDTV Live section even if they do search around before posting.

How hard can adding a couple of correct hyperlinks be?

Not hard.  But I’m lost.  Where are you starting?  Because I can’t find any reference to Legacy in the link you provide.  Of course, it could be just my eyes.   In any case, I need the specific links you’re referring to.

Wow I’m a WD fanatic and new nothing about this site? Is this a official site? Or a copy cat? Some of the links direct you to this forum.

bill_s wrote:

But I’m lost.  Where are you starting? …Of course, it could be just my eyes.

Well… the original post was made last September, which would put it a few website site revisions ago, so it’s not surprising that the pages are different now. :wink:  I’ll refrain from making any comments about your eyes or reading abilities. :stuck_out_tongue:

The original issues were:

• If you were browsing http://www.wdc.com/en/products/legacy/Legacy.asp?r=10 for the Gen1, there had been nothing to get you to the WDTV HD section of the forum (or anywhere esle in the Community, for that matter, if I remember correctly).  ** The current incarnation of the website does at least have the main Community in the left-hand navigation panel.  My suggestion had been for a link to the WDTV HD Community section, to allow for easier posting/navigation and to prevent Gen1 posts in the Live/Live Plus area.
  • There was a button on the Gen2 page labelled “Visit the WDTV HD Online Community”… but it referenced http://www.wdtvlive.com.  The Community Forum  link on this WDTV Live portal then took you directly to the WDTV Live/Live Plus section of the Community if you clicked it (oddly enough :wink:), and not to the main Community. ** My original request/suggestion was that the Gen2 page link directly to the WDTV HD section and not this other website/portal which then linked you to the WDTV Live/Live Plus section for posting.  Since the Gen2 page isn’t in “Legacy” (yet), but isn’t anywhere in “Media Players” either, this is now a moot point… if you can’t navigate to the Gen2 information page, then any links that may or may not be on it are rather immaterial.  Again, the thought had been to prevent Gen2 posts in the Live/Live Plus section.

Lawrence wrote:

Wow I’m a WD fanatic and new nothing about this site? Is this a official site? Or a copy cat? Some of the links direct you to this forum.

WHOIS:

Registrant: 
      Western Digital
 Domain Name: wdtvlive.com

Created on..............: Thu, Jun 18, 2009

I’d say it qualifies as “official”. :smileyvery-happy:

I know who is responsible for the site, so I’ll look into it.  I understand what you are asking, now.  I got hung up your use of the word “legacy.”  I realize now that you were meaning that in a general sense.  I was actually trying to find their legacy pages.  Duh…  I’m just glad to find out that I’m not mentally challenged.  (No comments from the peanut gallery.)

1 Like

Who? These guys?