Request to Lithium: support Apple mobile devices

The Rich Text Editor fails to trigger the keyboard on my iPad, whilst Tony confirms a similar problem using the iPod Touch 4 (presumably iOS 4.1).

It’s possible to enter text via the HTML tab but this is a painstaking task if you actually want multiple paragraphs, lists or styles of any kind.  Also, as a web designer I’m familiar with HTML but I imagine most people are not.

The difference between the two tabs (Rich Text and HTML) appears to be that the RTE runs in an iFrame whilst the HTML tab runs as an inline Textarea.  

I don’t see why it’s necessary to run the RTE in an iFrame.

Lithium is the only forum type I’m having difficulty posting on with my iPad (iOS 3.2.2).

I’ve submitted this as a feature request.

Do Lithium ever follow up on any of these requests / suggestions?

Almost 2 months later and you still can’t reply with (arguably) the most popular / famous mobile devices on the planet.

On the plus side, I’m getting better at creating HTML with the iPad keyboard (bouncing back and forth between the ABC and TWO symbol layouts, fun fun).

Thanks for passing it on though, not your fault Lithium don’t fix things.  :)

I got an iPad a few weeks ago.

SOMETIMES, if you’re lucky, and you’re facing the right direction with a leg extended, you CAN type on the regular tab…  but everything forces the SHIFT key ON, SO IT LOOKS LIKE YOU’RE SHOUTING.

Haha.  Alright, already, I’ll check on it.

Hey, looks like it’s going to be implemented.  I got this from the Ideas Lab on Lithium where I submitted this as an idea.

Support for Apple Mobile Devices

by Bill_S on 09-24-2010 02:30 PM

by Lithium Guru YumioS 3 weeks ago

Options

Status changed to: Accepted
We will add full support for these devices. Will update you when we know which release this will be in.

Thanks Bill! You are, as always, awesome. :wink:

Thanks. 

The Lithium forum threads on the issue make mention of a Quick Reply function that works with iOS. Also, the Lithium forums themselves have a Mobile view that works. Can either of those be implemented here in the meantime?

We are intending to do go mobile here in the near future.  I don’t have a timeline for this, yet; but I will let you know as soon as I do.

Hi I am able to reply to this post with the keyboard on my iPad (1) in the rich text tab… Maybe this is just an iPad 2 issue?

Yeah, but formatting gets lost.   It doesn’t support new lines.  That’s why all three of these sentences are on the same line.