Problem ejecting usb mass storage device

posted 2 minutes ago

WINDOWS CANT STOP UR ‘GENERIC VOLUME’ DEV ICE BECAUSE IT IS IN USE.CLOSE ANY PROGAMS OR WINDOW THAT MIGHT BE USING THE DEVICE,AND THEN TRY AGAIN LATER.

i did check there nothing open window, i close all the window,i try remove safely noting seem work,so only way i remove is laptop is shut down… i get fed up with it… I cant take the usb plug out … please help

sounds like a virus issue , if that’s not the case format the USB drive and retry SAFELY REMOVE

I also get the same issue. Seems like there is some issue with all the drive My Book drives. You want me to format all my data in the drive to safely remove it. This is hilarious. Why isn’t there any person from WD answering all the questions here?

There is either another program running in the background you are unaware of or you are accessing the drive in another manner(you are unaware of). Close all windows and basic programs one by one to see if you are able to disconnect safely.

A link to Microsoft Support Knowledge Based Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555665

I am getting this too and I believe it is caused by the firmware loaded “smartware”.

Its creating a virtual CD that is being “accessed” so the safely remove tool throws out an error message and will not let you  remove the drive.

THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE SMARTWARE!!!

This is a standard problem with these My Books! No virus (duh)! Western Digital…are you listening!!!

I love the update…follow these directions and if you deviate, possible data loss or DRIVE FAILURE!!!

Who are these people that make an update, that could destroy their own product!!!

(Example only) : Hi, thank you for calling Ford…Now your vehicle needs a modification (because we didnt design it right). We will give you the update but your vehicle may burst into flames…Do you want the update?   Hello? Hello? ( dialtone )

I think we are stuck with this poorly designed software until WD decides to make it’s customers a priority (don’t hold your breath). Come on WD…surprise us. Solve this issue (we all have it)!

Fed up!