My book not detected

I have XP and a new My book. I removed the 2TB drive to use in my dlink enclosure and placed a WD 1TB drive in the My book enclosure but windows does not detect it in Explorer or Disk Management. It is detected in add/remove hardware but I did have to install the SES driver from WD when the default driver did not work and showed a yellow question mark.

The drive is detected and works fine outside of the WD My book enclosure on the same computer.

What is up? What can I do to get Windows to detect this enclosure?

well well

not sure if it will work
 but try to initialize through disk management

chances are the enclosure is not compatible witht the drive but I don’t see why it should not work

1 Like

Right, I did try by rescanning the disks in disk management but nothing happened. Disk management does not detect the drive/enclosure. But if I remove the drive from the enclosure the drive is detected

I should be able to stuff any old drive into this enclosure and it should work

I’m having exactly the same problem with my 1TB My Passport SE.  Last Sunday, working fine. Windows updates were installed, and hey-presto it won’t get recognised. Coincidence or not?

It is recognised in ‘Safely remove hardware’, and in Device Manager, although the name doesn’t show in ‘My computer’.

A driver does show under the ‘E’ which is where My Passport normally shows up, although it says it has 0 bytes of data, when in fact the driver is almost 3/4 full. I’ve tried re-asigning a drive to is through ‘disk management’ which it didn’t like. It was saying the disk wasn’t initialised, however, when i try to initialise it won’t let me.

I’ve un-installed the device and drivers and then re-installed, which hasn’t helped. i’ve tried using different USB ports on my computer, different cables to connect the hard drive and even other computers all to no avail (although all the computers have had up-to-date Windows 7 installs, as i’m struggling finding an older version to try it on).

I’ve emails WD for help, but no response yet, just the auto response saying they have recieved my query.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Batgirl,

My issue is slightly different in that my drive/enclosure is not detected in Disk Management or XP. It’s only detected in safely remove hardware.

The drive is detected and works fine if I remove it from the enclosure. So it’s something wonky with the WD SES driver since outside of the enclosure I don’t use the little board that WD uses to redirect the SATA connector to the side of the enclosure

same propblem happend to me yesterday. my computer has windows 7 and it reconizes the the drive being pluged in and shows that its there but is not showing up under my computer. i cant access the drive for anything. if anyone figured this out then help me becuase i need it fixed. also i sent an email to WD so hoping they get back 

blacky wrote:

Right, I did try by rescanning the disks in disk management but nothing happened. Disk management does not detect the drive/enclosure. But if I remove the drive from the enclosure the drive is detected

I should be able to stuff any old drive into this enclosure and it should work

Your 2TB WD drive was probably encrypted using the USB controller in the mybook case. What SES driver does is look for specific sectors on the encrypted drive to attempt to mount the drive. First of all, you can’t use 1TB drive in the 2TB encrypted enclosure, because the drive does not have the sector # that 2TB has. So when controller is asking for the data from that sector, it simply can’t get it because 1TB is 2 times less sectors. Sectors that SES driver requests are at the end of the drive.

another question to the OP. when you put your 2TB from WD into that D-link enclosure, were you able to see the data? or did you have to reformat the drive?

So this enclosure is worthless if I need to replace a faulty drive? I’ll just return it

dlink uses linux so the drive had to be reformatted

An update,

Somehow managed to the ‘my computer’ to recognise the driver. Showing that the data is there (which was good), but when I open any of the folders, it says that they are empty. Folders can be opened, to show sub folders, but individual documents not being shown. Documents on the hard drive, which aren’t in an individual folder are shown, however when I try and access them, they either tell me the document has been moved or that it can’t be recognised.

Getting frustrated with the whole thing now. Why oh why did I not back up recently!!!

My 500gb 'My Book Home" did about the same thing last week. Right after installing latest windows updates, the drive would intermittently vanish from my computer, disk mgmt, remove hardware
everywhere. It did this for about a day and a half, then vanished and never came back. It doesn’t click, I can hear it spool up, sometimes I get the USB ‘beep’, the lights seem to work, but it’s gone. And I’ve tried everything in an attempt to find it. Of course the warranty ran out 5-6 months ago. (It’s only 3 1/2 years old).  I got this to back-up a PC and a laptop, both of which are older than this thing. In fact, the PC is twice as old. Both work just fine. This just seems totally wrong IMHO. If I’d known these only last half as long as I expected, there’s no way in **bleep** I would have purchased it. Definitely not after reading online that hundreds, at the least, have had similiar problems with the WD 500gb drives. Seems like they’ve got a big problem with them.

AND: After checking the WD website, it says my drive would be eligible for a discounted upgrade as part of the WD customer loyalty program. An out-of-warranty upgrade for a 1TB My Book Essential  is $144.90. However, if I just go to the WD store, the same unit is $129.99. Can someone explain the “customer loyalty” in this deal??

KSparx wrote:

My 500gb 'My Book Home" did about the same thing last week. Right after installing latest windows updates, the drive would intermittently vanish from my computer, disk mgmt, remove hardware
everywhere. It did this for about a day and a half, then vanished and never came back. It doesn’t click, I can hear it spool up, sometimes I get the USB ‘beep’, the lights seem to work, but it’s gone. And I’ve tried everything in an attempt to find it. Of course the warranty ran out 5-6 months ago. (It’s only 3 1/2 years old).  I got this to back-up a PC and a laptop, both of which are older than this thing. In fact, the PC is twice as old. Both work just fine. This just seems totally wrong IMHO. If I’d known these only last half as long as I expected, there’s no way in **bleep** I would have purchased it. Definitely not after reading online that hundreds, at the least, have had similiar problems with the WD 500gb drives. Seems like they’ve got a big problem with them.

AND: After checking the WD website, it says my drive would be eligible for a discounted upgrade as part of the WD customer loyalty program. An out-of-warranty upgrade for a 1TB My Book Essential  is $144.90. However, if I just go to the WD store, the same unit is $129.99. Can someone explain the “customer loyalty” in this deal??

Well you got a good run out of your drive

If the Customer Loyalty does not interest you
 you can look for better deals online

3 1/2 years is considered a "good run for a hard drive’?

3 1/2 years is average. usually drives that come in to us for data recovery are 2-3 years old

The use the drive gets will also have an impact. A drive in constant use like watching movies or listening to music will probably have a shorter life that one used strictly for backups.

Joe

That’s what it was used for, strictly back-ups, for a PC and laptop. It didn’t get moved, and I was lucky if I backed up every other month. It really didn’t have many hours use on it. Really didn’t know the life exp. was only 2 1/2 - 3 years for a drive or I would have done something else. Never had an internal drive fail, and I’ve had some computers for many years. In fact, the PC in the guest-room was built in Feb
, 1998 and it’s all original parts. Guess I should have bought a back-up to back up my back-up. Thx for the info though.

it all comes down to what kind of problem your drive has. Drives fail in many different ways.

Ok, so these drives don’t last forever.

What’s to be done with these enclosures when the drives fail. 

Is it impossible to replace the bad drives with new ones?