External hard drive won't open and cannot run chkdsk

hi. my 500 gb external hard drive was working fine during the morning but when i opened it in the night it won’t open anymore. in the my computer it only shows ‘local disk (D : )’ instead of ‘my passport’. when i tried to rigt click it or double-click it my computer will lag and sometimes will hang and will give me a ‘not responding’ window. i tried chkdsk and it won’t work and in the error-checking in the properties when i click ‘check now…’ a window will pop-up saying “the disk check could not be performed because window cannot access the disk”. all my files there is important to me. i hope you can help me open my hard drive again and retrieve all my data there. thank you very much.

It could be a data corruption problem. As a troubleshooting step, be sure to connect the USB cable directly to one of the PC USB ports. You might be able to recover your files with a data recovery program. Using Google you can find several options that might work. Check the link below for the steps to also test your hard drive using DLG. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940

thank you very much. my hard drive is now working again. :smiley:

I have the same problem with not being able to open my externa hard drive & so downloaded the programme…took ages but found some damaged files which said it could repair but I will lose them. I don’t want to lose them. Is there a way I can save everything to another external hard drive wihtout havng to open it? Or any other suggestions? I’ve tried th ehard drive on another laptop, just in case, but it still won’t open.