Will the update wipe my drive?

I have been having problems with my WD Essential…  When I plug it in, it shows up ( G: ) and allows me to unlock the drive ( H: )…but when I click on H: it would let me see it.  Automatically asks me to reformat.  Of course, I don’t.   I also see that my drive has an available update, so I downloaded it.  I’m afraid if I run it, that it will wipe out everyone currently on my drive and start over.  I DON’T want to do that.  I have important files on there, but I’m having so many problems.  Anyone have any ideas??

Also, I occassionaly get “I/O error”.  I’m at a loss here. 

MD

Can anyone assist? 

poopster007 wrote:

I have been having problems with my WD Essential…  When I plug it in, it shows up ( G: ) and allows me to unlock the drive ( H: )…but when I click on H: it would let me see it.  Automatically asks me to reformat.  Of course, I don’t.   I also see that my drive has an available update, so I downloaded it.  I’m afraid if I run it, that it will wipe out everyone currently on my drive and start over.  I DON’T want to do that.  I have important files on there, but I’m having so many problems.  Anyone have any ideas??

Also, I occassionaly get “I/O error”.  I’m at a loss here. 

MD

Hello,

If you are occasionally getting the I/O Error, it could be an issue with the usb cable or the either one of the usb port on the computer or the drive.

Please test the unit using a different USB cable if stills the same, please try using a data recovery software so you can get the files out of the drive since it might be getting corrupted.

thank you…what kind of data recovery software?  Anything you suggest?

im having the exact same problem.  its not usb or cable. i tried it on my laptop and home pc does the same thing. I know the files are still there because it says the space is occupied on the disc but every time i try to access it, it says i need to reformat the drive.